To make the Activity Feed widget available
To add the Activity Feed widget to a course homepage, the d2l.Tools.ActivityFeed.ShowWidget configuration variable must be turned on.
- From the Admin Tools menu, select Config Variable Browser.
- Search for d2l.Tools.ActivityFeed.ShowWidget, and select the variable.
- Edit the System Value, turn the variable on, and click Save.
Note: Override values can be set in the Config Variable Browser to restrict the Activity Feed widget to specific Departments or Courses. This allows administrators to limit who has access to this Widget.
Watch how to make the Activity Feed widget available
IMS role mapping for Activity Feed
IMS roles must be mapped to the appropriate Brightspace roles in order for instructors (teachers) and learners (students) to have access to the Activity Feed widget.
- From the Admin Tools menu, select IMS Configuration.
- In the Instructor column, check the box corresponding to the Brightspace Instructor role.
- In the Student column, check the box corresponding to the Brightspace Student role.
- Click Save.
IMS role and functionality for Activity Feed
For the role of Student (a learner), the user is granted permission to view the entire class Activity Feed and contribute comments. Learners can also create original posts, if their instructor has enabled the feature in the Manage commenting and posting settings.
For the role of Teacher (an instructor), the user is granted permission to view the entire class Activity Feed, create new posts in the feed, contribute comments, and moderate all Student comments.
Add Activity Feed widget to a default homepage
To make the Activity Feed widget available to all courses, you can add it to the default homepage at the organization level.
- From the Admin Tools menu, select Homepage Management.
- Click on the default homepage.
- In the Widgets section, from a large panel, click Add Widgets.
- Locate the Activity Feed widget and click Add.
- Click Save and Close.
Note: D2L recommends using the basic homepage layout and adding the Activity Feed widget to the large panel. Ensure the large panel does not include other widgets. Widgets placed below the Activity Feed can become lost as the feed grows.