Important: Brightspace Data Sets Major Version 8 is now the default version for Insights Report Builder. Authors must remap any DataFlows, reports, or dashboards that depend on Version 7 data sets to use Version 8 instead. For more details, refer to Updating Insights Report Builder for Brightspace Data Set Major Version 8 in Brightspace Community.
Insights Report Builder hosting requirements
The Brightspace Data Platform uses Amazon Web Services™ (AWS) for data storage. Data is hosted in the same region as your LMS.
Insights Report Builder permissions
Note: The Insights Report Builder is only intended for non-learner personas, and as such there is a maximum of 20,000 viewers. Ensure that only users who need access have the Can Use Insights Report Builder permission to keep your viewership below this limit.
||Allows users to
|See Insights Portal Tool
||Access the Insights Portal page
Insights Report Builder
|Can Use Insights Report Builder
Launch Insights Report Builder
Have reports shared with them
Insights Report Builder
Creates user as a viewer
|Can Manage Insights Report Builder
Activate Insights Report Builder
|Insights Report Builder
Insights Report Builder roles
A unique, valid email address is required to create a new Insights Report Builder user. If multiple users share the same email address in Brightspace, then one of the users will be created successfully and the other will fail until a unique email address is defined.
When granting access to Insights Report Builder, it can take up to 1 hour for the new user to be added.
By default, each organization has the ability to define 2 author users. Any user with an organization level role with the Can Use Insights Report Builder permission can become an author by being set up by an administrator with the Can Manage Insights Report Builder permission. These authors do not need to have the same role. Additional author licenses can be purchased.
To add, modify, or remove an author, go to the Insights Portal and click Manage Authors. When you add a new author, they receive a notification in their navbar, and by email if that option was selected.
Authors can see all visualization templates, data sets, and DataFlow templates. They can also see all the visualizations their fellow authors have built. Visualizations in Insights Report Builder are called “cards” which can exist on “pages” or “dashboards”.
Authors are able to:
- View their curated onboarding tutorial on the Quick Start for Authors dashboard.
- View card templates on the Templates dashboard.
- View DataFlow templates in the Data tab with the Template tag.
- View all data sets in the Data tab with the associated BDS version.
- Create new DataFlows with existing data sets.
- Create groups in Admin Settings.
- Add existing users to groups.
- Create and modify cards.
- Create scheduled reports and configure alerts.
- Share cards, pages, and dashboards with users or groups.
- Embed cards into other systems.
- Export data to use offline.
- View DomoStats Activity Log dashboard to understand the usage of Insights Report Builder for their organization.
- Turn Magic ETL v2 on or off (it's on by default for new DataFlows).
Authors are not able to:
- Edit or delete raw data sets.
- Upload additional data sets.
- Add new users via Insights Report Builder. Users must be added through Roles and Permissions in Brightspace.
Any user with an organization level role with the Can Use Insights Report Builder permission is automatically a viewer. When launching Insights Report Builder, a viewer sees any reports, dashboards and visualizations that are explicitly shared with them as an individual or as a result of their presence in an Insights Report Builder defined group.
Viewers are able to:
- View their curated onboarding tutorial on the Quick Start for Viewers dashboard.
- Review cards and pages that have been shared with them.
- Schedule reports and configure alerts to be emailed to users.
- Interact with cards and pages that have been shared with them (filter, drill, export, etc).
Viewers are not able to:
- Create cards or pages.
- Access raw data sets or DataFlows.
- Share visualizations with other users.
To provide another layer of data access control, Authors can use Trusted Attributes to define data access for specific individuals. Trusted Attributes are a component of Personalized Data Permissions (PDP) policies that can be applied to DataFlows you create from existing data sets within Insights Report Builder. Once applied, these allow you to filter data for that DataFlow to a specified set of users and groups.
Insights Report Builder supports the following Trusted Attributes:
For instructions on how to create PDP policies, refer to Creating and Deleting PDP Policies on Domo Help Center.