Exports may be initiated by a user from Brightspace (push to SIS) or by a process from the SIS (pull from Brightspace). The process you choose depends on your institution’s preferred approach and the capabilities of your SIS.
Enable the Grades Export tool
The Grades Export tool must be enabled in order for users to have access to the Grades Export page. Install administrators and D2LSupport can configure this tool.
- From the Admin Tools menu on the minibar, select Tools.
- Toggle GradesExport.
Process flow: Pulling grades from Brightspace by a SIS
- Instructors review and confirm grades in Brightspace.
- In the SIS user interface, instructors initiate grade import.
- The SIS requests grades for a course from Grades Export, which packages the grades and returns them to the SIS.
- A response by Grades Export reports errors and successes to the SIS.
- The instructor can review feedback in the SIS user interface.
Process flow: Pushing grades to a SIS
This section lists the typical events that users experience during the Grades Export process. Your process may vary depending on how you configure Grades, Grades Export, and IPSIS.
- Click Grades on the org unit's navbar.
- In the Enter Grades tool, click Export to SIS to access the Grades Export page.
Note: Users with Export Grades permission and a properly configured ExportHandlerPage can see this link.
- Select a section from the Scope list. The name of the section, the number of users who will be exported, and the number of users that cannot be exported for the section are displayed. Click View Details to see the users, their grades, and reasons for any exclusions.
- Click Export to initiate an export of grades for the chosen section. Grades marked as ‘Excluded’ are not sent. The export request goes into a ‘Pending’ state and waits for the Grades Export service to process the request. Users can navigate away from the current page and return at a later point in time to review the results of the Grades Export. Users can also initiate exports for other sections for the same or different course offering while exports are in progress or pending.
- Beside the Scope list, click Refresh and then wait for the export to complete. When the export is complete, it appears under the Most Recent Exports list to the right of the page.
- To view the Export Details page for the export, click the name of the section in the Most Recent Exports list. The Export Details page contains information about who initiated and when the export ran, whose grades and how many user grades were successfully sent to the SIS, whose were not, and who was excluded.
- Click Export to SIS at the top of the page to return to the main Grades Export page.