The following instructions provide you with the steps required to enable Creator+ in your Brightspace environment.
Enabling Organization Tools
Creator+ consists of five tools that must be turned on in Admin Tools. These tools include Content Styler, Insert Element, Practices, Layouts, and Capture.
- From your Brightspace homepage, select Admin Tools.
- Select Organization Tools.
- Search for each tool and select the Availability toggle to enable the following Creator+ tools:
- Content Styler (Toolid 806000)
- Insert Element (Toolid 804000)
- Practices (Toolid 805000)
- Layouts (Toolid 901000)
- Capture (Toolid 581000)
Note: These tools may already be enabled depending on your tool history.
Setting Configuration Variables
You can enable Creator+ for your whole organization or roll out Creator+ tools for a smaller pilot by using the D2l.Tools.CreatorPlus.IsEnabled configuration variable. None of the Creator+ tools are visible until you turn on the configuration variable. D2l.Tools.CreatorPlus.IsEnabled is a cascading configuration variable that allows you to enable Creator+ tools for your whole organization, a semester, or a department.
When the D2L.Tools.CreatorPlus.IsEnabled configuration variable is ON, Practices and Insert Element immediately appear in the Classic Content and New Content (Lessons) edit page. The Content Styler applies the Creator+ style sheets to newly-created topics. A new or updated style sheet is not retroactively applied to existing topics.
Setting up Content Styler
Content Styler enables you to define the cascading style sheet you want to use in all new HTML topics.
- Ensure that your role has the Can Manage Content Style CSS permission.
- From the Organization home page, click Admin Tools.
- Under Security, click Roles and Permissions.
- Click the Role, such as Administrator, that you want to be able to use the Content Styler.
- From the Filter by Tool drop-down menu, select Content Styler.
- Click the check box for Organization to apply the Can Manage Content Style CSS permission to use the Content Styler for all org units in your organization.
After you apply the permission, all users with that role can see the Content Styler in the Organization Tools list.
Important: D2L recommends that you only grant this permission to a small set of administrators as changes affect all HTML topics that have the style sheet applied.
- Verify that the Content Styler appears in Admin Tools under Organization Related. If it does not, use the workflow outlined in the Enabling Organization Tools section of this page to enable the Content Styler tool.
- Ensure that the two required configuration variables related to Content Styler are correctly set.
- From the Organization home page, click Admin Tools
- Under Organization Related, click Config Variable Browser.
- Browse to or search for d2l.Tools.ContentStyler.AddStylesOnContentCreate. This configuration variable allows you to turn on or turn off Content Styler at various levels in your courses, meaning that you can apply Content Styler in specific departments, templates, or courses.
- Ensure the variable is set to ON for the org unit parent where you want any style sheets to be applied when creating new topics.
Note: This may already be ON by default for your organization. This is a cascading variable, meaning that configuration variables cascade to all descendant org unit types. For example, if you select a specific semester, all courses in that semester will have the updated styles.
- Browse to or search for d2l.Tools.ContentStyler.CssOverride. This configuration variable specifies the style sheets that you want to apply when a new topic is created. If you do not specify a CSS here, the default Brightspace Creator+ styles are used.
- Define which courses should have the default Creator+ CSS or an override CSS applied.
For information about adjusting CSS styles, refer to Set up consistent style and branding in your organization with Creator+ Content Styler.
Setting up Insert Element
Insert Element does not require additional permissions or configuration variables. Insert Element will appear in the Brightspace Editor in Classic Content and New Content (Lessons) New Edit Experience within the Other Insert Options menu.
Insert Elements will work with any template and do not require that you specify the language of the page.
Setting up Practices
Practices do not require additional permissions or configuration variables. Practices will appear in the Brightspace Editor in Classic Content and New Content (Lessons) New Edit Experience within the Other Insert Options menu.
Practices are compatible with any template. The language set on the page dictates the language of the user interface. If there is no language specified, Practices reverts to English.
Hot Tip: When you copy a course that contains Practices, ensure you copy the associated files in the course. If the Practice was copied without associated files, search for the Practices folder in the original course root directory. You can zip the folder and move it to the new course location.
Setting up Capture
Capture can be downloaded and/or launched from the Media Library. Media Library is available in the Admin Tools menu, or as a link on the navigation bar. When in the Media Library, Capture App is available using Add > Create Presentation.
To use the Capture tool, ensure that these permissions are granted to the appropriate users:
- Capture > Can Access Capture App
- Content Service > Can Access Media Library Management Tool (recommended for Admin and Instructor roles)
- Content Service > Can manage objects
- Content Service > Can manage all objects (recommended for Admin roles only)
For more information about the permissions associated with Capture, refer to Media Library Permissions.
For more information about using Capture, see Create a presentation with Capture Web or Create a presentation with the Capture App
The Creator+ Instructional Design Best Practices course includes short videos for each Creator+ tool, best practices for using the tools, access to Creator+ templates, and a Frequently Asked Questions resource.
Note: You must be a registered member of Brightspace Community to access the Learning Center.