To create a learning path in Learning Paths, you must have the Manage Learning Paths, and Can Create and Edit Org Units permissions at the Org level assigned to your role.
- On the navbar, click Learning Paths
- Click Create Learning Path
- In he Name field, enter a name for the learning path.
- In the Description field, add a description for the learning path.
- Under Additional Identification, add a unique Learning Path Code.
Note: By default, LP appears in the Learning Path Code field. If you delete the learning path code, there cannot be a null value in the field, and it defaults back to LP when you save.
- Click Add Activity to view or search the list of available courses to add to the learning path. Select the courses to add in the order you want them to appear in the learning path. If you want to reorder the courses, you can drag the tiles, or click the ... menu on each tile and select Move Up, Move Down, or Remove.
- Click the Visibility toggle to set the learning path to Visible (it is Hidden by default).
- Click Save and Close.
Assign learning paths to learners with Learning Paths
Assigning a learning path to learners in Learning Paths automatically enrolls the learner into every course within that learning path. You can assign learning paths to learners using the following tools:
• Learning Groups
Note: Automatic enrollment into all courses within a Learning Path can take, at most, 5-10 minutes.
Assign learning paths in Learning Groups
The number of courses within a learning path count towards the 50 total courses that you can assign to a learning group. D2L recommends adding no more than 10 courses to learning paths if you are assigning learning paths using Learning Groups.
Before you begin: Ensure the learning path(s) you want to assign are Visible to users.
- In Learning Groups, click the learning group you want to edit.
- From the Learning tab, click Assign Learning.
- Select the check box for the learning path(s) and/or course(s) you want to assign to the group.
- Click Next.
- Click Assign Learning.
Assign learning paths in Users
Before you begin: Ensure you have the required permissions to enroll users into org units in the Users tool.
- From the Admin Tools menu, click Users.
Search for users and select the user(s) you want to assign to learning paths.
- Click a user.
- Click the Enrollments tab.
- In the Search For field, type the learning path you want to enroll the user in or click Search to see all the possible courses.
- To ensure the user's role is set to the Learning Paths default learner role, click the Select a new role icon beside the learning path you want to enroll the user in.
- Set the user's role to the default learner role from the drop-down list. Click Apply.
Edit a learning path in Learning Paths
Before you begin: To prevent enrollment errors, D2L advises against making changes to the courses in a learning path after learners have been enrolled and the learning path is set to Visible.
- On the navbar, click Learning Paths.
- Click the title of the existing learning path you want to edit.
- Do any of the following:
- Click Save and Close.
- Temporarily removing then re-adding a course in a learning path can result in enrollment errors if a learner is assigned to the learning path while the course is removed - the learner will not be enrolled in the course when it is re-added.
- Adding a course to an existing learning path does not auto-enroll the learners assigned to the learning path to that course. You must manually enroll learners into new courses added to existing learning paths.
Delete a learning path in Learning Paths
Deleting a learning path does not delete the individual courses within the learning path or remove enrolled learners from the courses in the learning path. If you want to remove users from the courses, you must manually unenroll each learner from each course within the learning path.
- On the navbar, click Learning Paths.
- Click the ... icon on the learning path you want to delete. Click Delete.
Note: Deleted learning paths can be restored from the Recycle Bin in the Org Unit Editor.
Viewing assigned learning paths in Manager Dashboard
Managers with the Content > View Course Content permission can view the courses from assigned learning paths (assigned to their direct reports/team members via Learning Groups or Users) from the Manager View page in Manager Dashboard. The courses that make up a learning path appear in the Learning Item list on the Learning tab as well as the name of the learning path.
- Courses within learning paths that have Course Completion Tracking enabled will display the course progress, but overall learning path progress does not appear. Learning Paths does not track progress using the Course Completion Tracking service; instead learning paths rely on the module completion tracking that is unique to the New Content Experience (Lessons).
- Currently learning paths cannot be assigned to learners from Manager Dashboard.
Manage Learning Paths with the My Learning widget
The My Learning Widget displays learning path enrollment and progress for learners and functions as the only access point to assigned learning paths for learners. All active courses assigned to the learner appear in the My Learning widget, and courses that are not part of learning paths.
Learning paths must be set to Visible in order to appear in the My Learning widget. Courses that are part of hidden learning paths become visible in the Course Selector, the My Learning widget (as individual courses) and in the My Courses widget (if available on the My Home page).
The My Learning widget depends on filtering that use Brightspace roles to IMS role mapping. You must configure the learner role you intend for users using Learning Paths with the IMS Learner Role to make learning path enrollments appear in the My Learning widget. If you do not have the Learner Role IMS mapping set correctly, learners could see empty My Learning widgets and will have no way to access Learning Paths.
- If your organization is using Manager Dashboard, the Manager Dashboard-configured Learner role is automatically set as the default learner role for Learning Paths. Ensure this existing Learner role maps to the IMS standard learner role.
- D2L recommends organizations that enable Learning Paths use the My Learning widget in place of the My Courses widget on your organization home page.
Determine the Default Learner Role for Learning Paths
Learning Paths requires all users who will be assigned to learning paths to have one consistent course-level role for your Org. This default learner role is used to enroll all users into courses within an assigned learning path in Learning Paths.
If your organization has Manager Dashboard configured, Learning Paths automatically uses the same org-level learner role you have set up for use with Manager Dashboard as the default learner role.
If your organization does not have Manager Dashboard configured, you must set the default learner role for Learning Paths at the Org level, using the d2l.System.Enrollment.LearnerRole configuration variable.
Note: The Manager Dashboard-configured default Learner role overrides any other learner role you set up with the d2l.System.Enrollment.LearnerRole configuration variable.
Map the learner role to the standard IMS learner role for the My Learning widget
- From the Admin Tools menu, click IMS Configuration.
- Locate the Learner role (used for Manager Dashboard, if applicable).
- In the Context Role column, click on the + Edit Role Mapping link.
- In the dialogue, select the Learner mapping.
- Click Save.