Course Completion Tracking is a course-level tool available in Course Administration. Enabling Course Completion Tracking provides managers with a visual progress bar of a learner's progression through a course. By default, Manager Dashboard logs a course as completed when all required activities in the Table of Contents of the course are completed. You must enable completion tracking for each course offering you want to assign to learners in Manager Dashboard. Note that you must have the Manage Completion Tracking permission assigned to your role to turn on completion tracking, as well as permissions to access and edit the courses.
There are two settings available for viewing course completion:
- Text-based progress - this option displays a simple tracking summary. The progress is indicated by three states: Not Started, In Progress or Complete.
- Display % Progress bar - this option displays the percentage of course completion based on the number of completed topics out of the total topics available in a course.
Display % Progress is selected by default when enabling Course Completion Tracking for each course, although users can deselect this option to use the original text-based progress setting instead. For courses that have Course Completion Tracking previously enabled, you can enable the Display % Progress option using the d2l.Tools.CompletionTracking.DisplayPercProgress configuration variable in the Config Variable Browser, if you have the required permissions to edit configuration variables.
- Manager Dashboard reports on completion status of courses in real time. When a content topic is viewed in Brightspace or Brightspace Pulse, it is automatically read as complete in the Table of Contents. When all the content topics of a course are completed, the course reports to Manager Dashboard as complete.
To exclude a topic from completion tracking, you can set it as Not Required in the Table of Contents editing options or the Activity Tab in the topic.
- If a course includes release conditions that releases content at a future date, the topic that unlocks the future content will be marked as complete, but the future topic is not counted when calculating course completion. This may cause a course to be incorrectly recorded as complete by Manager Dashboard. Courses will not revert to incomplete status if they have already been marked complete.
- Content topics that include a SCORM package using the new SCORM solution are read by Manager Dashboard as complete when the completion criteria within the SCORM package is met. Only SCORM packages using the new solution include completion reporting data.
- If a quiz is included in the Table of Contents of course content, then you must set the completion criteria for it. You can choose to have the quiz marked as complete after the learner submits a quiz attempt or you can set a minimum passing grade for the quiz.
You can include an assignment in your completion tracking criteria for a course by adding it as an activity in the Table of Contents. By default, an assignment is marked as complete when a learner submits a file for the assignment.
Enable the Completion Tracking tool in Brightspace
- From the Admin Tools menu, click Tools.
- Click Completion Tracking to On.
Enable Completion Tracking for a course
Before you begin: ensure you have the appropriate permissions to edit the course. You must enable Course Completion Tracking before learners begin the course. Enabling completion tracking after learners have started a course, disabling and re-enabling completion tracking, or removing required topics from the table of contents of a course in-progress may result in incomplete completion data in Manager Dashboard and Learning Groups.
If your organization uses Learning Paths, you can set Completion Tracking for courses that are added to learning paths, but the Completion Tracking service is not used by Learning Paths to track learner progress through courses or the overall learning path. Completion tracking is only used by Manager Dashboard.
- Access the course you want to track.
- From the Course Administration page, click Course Completion Tracking.
- Select the check box Enable Completion Tracking for this Course. Note: by default, the Display % Progress check box is selected simultaneously. Clearing the Display % Progress check box keeps completion tracking enabled but displays text-based progress instead of the calculated percentage progress bar.
- Click Save and Close.
Set the Display % Progress option using the Config Variable Browser
You can set Course Completion Tracking to Display % Progress for courses that already have Course Completion Tracking enabled using the d2l.Tools.CompletionTracking.DisplayPercProgress configuration variable in the Config Variable Browser. This configuration variable is set to off by default.
Note: Using the Config Variable Browser to enable Display % Progress is optional. D2L recommends enabling Display % Progress on the Course Completion Tracking page in the course. This configuration variable only enables the Display % Progress setting for Course Completion Tracking, it does not enable the Course Completion Tracking tool or feature. If Course Completion Tracking is not already enabled in the course offering you edit in the Config Variable Browser, then the configuration variable will not function.
Before you begin: you must have the appropriate permissions to access and edit configuration variables in Brightspace.
- From the Admin Tools menu, click Config Variable Browser.
- Navigate to the d2l.Tools.CompletionTracking.DisplayPercProgress configuration variable.
- Click Add Value.
- Enter the Org Unit ID or click the Select Org Unit button and click on the org unit. Click Update.
- In the Value dropdown menu, click on.
- Click Save.
Set completion tracking for a quiz
Set the completion criteria for quizzes that are included in the Table of Contents of a course.
Before you begin: ensure you have the appropriate permissions to edit quizzes and course content.
- Access the quiz in the course you want to track.
- From the dropdown menu of the quiz you want to track, click Edit.
- Click the Assessment tab.
- In the Activity Completion Tracking area, select the Automatic Completion Condition you want. Remember to allow multiple attempts on the quiz if you select the Passing Grade option.
- Click Save.