The Broken Link Viewer tool stores a list of broken links found on your site. A broken link error occurs when a browser attempts to access a page or item that does not exist. Link verification is done on text links, images, plug-ins, backgrounds, style sheets, scripts, Java applets, and more. The Broken Link Viewer contains a continuously updated list of URLs.
Note: Although the Broken Link Viewer provides a list of broken links, it does not fix the links.
On the Manage Broken Links page you can see:
- The number of broken links in your organization.
- Date of last occurrence of a broken link.
- URL where the item is supposed to be located (but could not be found).
Identify broken links for a course
- From the Admin Tools menu, click Broken Links.
- Click a course to see its broken links.
Filter broken links
- From the Select a date range drop-down list, select one of the following options:
- Past Day
- Past 7 Days
- Custom Date Range
- Click Apply.
Resolve broken links
This process only removes the links from the list. You still need to fix the links manually. If a deleted link is clicked on again before the link is fixed, it reappears in the Broken Link Viewer.
A reoccurring nightly purge task removes broken links that are older than 120 days from the list. Administrators can change the default of 120 days using the d2l.Tools.BrokenLinks.DaysToKeep configuration variable.
- Select the check boxes beside the links you want to delete.
- Click Delete Selected.