Note: Brightspace Portfolio is intended to replace Brightspace ePortfolio, and it is not recommended that clients use both tools concurrently in the same course.
Brightspace ePortfolio is a personal portfolio tool for storing, organizing, reflecting on, and sharing items that represent your learning. You can include items such as documents, graphics, audio files, videos, presentations, and course work to demonstrate your improvement or mastery in certain areas.
You can control what items you want to include in your portfolio, how they are organized, and who you want to share them with. When you share items with your peers, mentors, or potential employers, you can give them permission to view items, edit items, see or add comments, and see or add assessments to receive feedback.
About org unit sharing groups
Org unit sharing groups allow course designers and administrators to set up sharing groups at the organization, department, or course level and share them with users. Org unit sharing groups can be optional or automatic (mandatory). Automatic sharing groups can be visible in the Sharing Groups area or hidden.
Organization level sharing groups are set up by administration staff and shared with all users in an organization, or a specific set of org units from across the organization. Permissions are cascading; groups you create at the organization or department level are shared with all users enrolled in courses and other child org units. You can restrict which courses or child org units the group is shared with using the Add Org Units filter options.
If you select the Automatically share items with this sharing group option, ensure you let the affected users know they are automatically sharing items, and only apply your org unit sharing group to appropriate roles. You must ensure that your course participants enable comments and assessments for their items if you want to use permissions relating to comments and assessments. If you apply a sharing group to users’ ePortfolios and leave it visible, users can add it to additional items that are not covered by your filter settings.
Set up an organization-wide sharing group
- From the Admin Tools menu, click Sharing Groups.
- On the organization-level Sharing Groups page, click New Sharing Group.
- Give the profile a name and a description.
- Click Show Advanced Sharing Options.
- If you want to apply the group only to specific org units below the current org unit (rather than all org units), in the Sharing Group Availability section, clear the Current Org Unit check box. Click Add Org Units and select which org units you want to apply the profile to.
- If you want this group automatically applied to all items that meet the group’s filters, select the Automatically share items with this sharing group check box.
- If you selected the Automatically share items with this sharing group check box, complete the following steps:
- Select whether you want the sharing group to be visible to users or hidden. If you hide the sharing group, users will not be able to determine which items they are automatically sharing or the permissions other users have.
- To specify which item types to apply the sharing group to, use the Type Filter options.
- To restrict the sharing group to items that use specific tags, use the Tag Filter options.
- To specify which roles the sharing group is shared with, use the Role Filter options. D2L strongly recommends you review which roles you automatically apply a sharing group to.
- Click Save > Add Users.
- Browse for the users you want to add. Use the Search field to narrow your browsing results. Users with cascading roles must perform a search to display results.
- To add users to the Selected Users list, click on users or groups of users in the browse listing. To remove users from the Selected Users list, click the Remove icon beside those users or groups of users you want to remove.
- Select the permissions you want the selected users to have and click Add.
- Click Save and Close.