For detailed information on using Holding Tank, refer to the Holding Tank - Administrator guide.
- Similar to creating learner and instructor users, create parent/guardian users with Holding Tank.
Make sure you have a strategy to uniquely define OrgDefinedIds for parents/guardians in Brightspace.
- Create user-relationship.xml and user-relationship.alldone.
A user relationship is between a parent/guardian and child. This relationship is sent to Brightspace using the Holding Tank Batch process.
A user relationship file is a mapping of the parent/guardian OrgDefinedId and child OrgDefinedId. The file must be generated and uploaded to the existing Holding Tank SFTP location by the school or school board. The file name should end with user-relationship.xml.
Like other batch processes, you must include an ALLDONE file for each XML file in the processing directory. This ALLDONE file shares its file name with the XML file. The ALLDONE file informs the SISImport process when the XML file is complete and ready for processing.
User relationship files should contain a snapshot of all relationships; it is not a diff (incremental update).
- Map the parent/guardian role.
From the Admin Tools menu, click SIS Integration – Course Mappings. Under Integration, select Roles to map the parent/guardian role you created with the same role name entered as role code.
- Confirm that the parent/guardian-child relationship is created.
For more information, see Viewing parent/guardian-child relationships.
Note: The user-relationship.xml file is processed with other Holding Tank Batch process files at the scheduled time for your school or school board. To find out when the Holding Tank job runs, contact your D2L Support representative.
Holding Tank troubleshooting steps for D2L Support
To triage Holding Tank issues, confirm the following:
- The Holding Tank UI is configured for the school or school board.
- In Holding Tank batch configuration, <onlyuserswithenrollments> is set to false to allow the parent/guardian user to be enrolled at the org level.
- parentPortalImport command is set up.
- The school mapped the parent/guardian role.
- The school created parent/guardian users using Holding Tank.
- The school uploaded user-relationship files and the orgdefinedIds for parents/guardians and students exist in Brightspace.