Game Based Learning (GBL) is the use of games to enhance the learning experience.
Incorporating game based mechanics, visual design, and thinking into a course can help organizations improve learner motivation and engagement. Learners who are engaged are more inspired to succeed.
A highly interactive gaming experience is something that many learners are already comfortable with. They can proceed at their own pace and get immediate feedback about their progress.
In a game based environment, learners work towards a set goal. A risk-free setting encourages experimentation by letting them choose their own actions. They can even repeat a step if they need to.
Instructors can determine the scope and depth of the gaming experience, implementing game based learning that fits unique needs and objectives.
In the spirit of gaming, learners can personalize their learning experience by creating their own unique character (an avatar) using the Create Avatar process. The avatar is visible when learners access the Game Map.
Enable Game Based Learning
- From the Admin Tools menu, select Organization Tools.
- Toggle on Game Based Learning.
Add Game Based Learning link to a Navbar
- Open the Admin Tools menu and select Navigation & Themes.
- Click the name of the navbar you want to update.
- On the Edit Navbar page, click Add Links.
- Locate the Game Based Learning link, select the corresponding check box, and click Add.
- Click Save and Close.
Note: If Game Based Learning is enabled for your course/organization, a link to Game Based Learning is available on your course's Course Admin page.