Brightspace Portfolio is a tool that empowers learners of all ages to independently capture evidence of learning. Learners can maintain their digital portfolio year after year, as they progress through their learning journey.
With Brightspace Portfolio, you can:
- Create learner-centered digital portfolios
- Use age-appropriate modes of the mobile app to collect evidence of learning
- Document process and growth
- Provide formative assessments and real-time feedback
- Record audio and video reflections about a learner's work
- Use Brightspace Portfolio year-over-year to reflect a learner's growth and showcase their work
- Ensure learner data is secure and private
- Share evidence of learning with parents and guardians by using Brightspace Parent & Guardian
Note: Brightspace Portfolio is intended to replace the legacy Brightspace ePortfolio product. Combined with all Brightspace Core functionality, Brightspace Portfolio will provide a complete solution, to not only replace Brightspace ePortfolio, but to enhance the entire experience. To schedule a roadmap presentation with the D2L Product Management team, contact your Customer Success Manager or Technical Account Manager.
D2L recommends that you do not use Brightspace Portfolio and Brightspace ePortfolio in the same Course Offering concurrently.
Before you start
An administrator configures permissions and sets configuration variables in Brightspace that let you use Brightspace Portfolio in your organization and specify the workflow for submitting and approving evidence. For example, in a K-12 learning environment, submitted evidence is automatically shared with instructors and requires approval before the evidence displays in portfolios. In a higher education or corporate learning environment, submitted evidence immediately appears in learner portfolios (no approval process). Instructors do not see evidence until learners explicitly share it with them.
If you have questions about whether your organization is set up to use Brightspace Portfolio or the workflow for submitting and approving evidence, contact your Brightspace administrator.
Note that on a device that is shared amongst several classrooms, an administrator might install the Brightspace Portfolio app on your shared device.
Brightspace Portfolio platform requirements
The Brightspace Portfolio app is available for download from any global Google Play™ store or Apple App Store®. The app is generally released at the beginning of the month, and then sometimes mid-month, if issues are found. Depending on how your device is configured, the app may update automatically or you may have to manually check for new versions.
Region and language support
Brightspace Portfolio is supported in the following geographic regions:
Europe, Middle East, Africa (EMEA)
- Asia Pacific (Singapore and Australia)
Brightspace Portfolio is available for use in the following languages:
- English (U.S.)
- French (Canada)
- Spanish (Latin America)
Note: The Brightspace Portfolio app reflects the language preference selected on the user's device, not what is set in Brightspace.
Operating system support
Brightspace Portfolio is supported on tablets and mobile devices with the following operating systems:
- AndroidTM 5.0 or later on tablets or phones
- iOS® 10.0 or later on iPhone® and iPad®
Supported evidence types in Brightspace Portfolio
You can upload or view any evidence that is a PDF or can be converted to a PDF in the Brightspace Portfolio web application.
Supported file types
- Video: SWF, MPG, MPEG, RM, MP3, MP4, M4V, M4A, AVI, WAV, RAM, ASF, MOV, RA
Note: There is no limit to the size of videos; however, they are naturally limited by the device's capacity and bandwidth.
- Images: JPG, JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP, TIF, TIFF
- Text documents: RTF, PPT, PPS, PDF, DOC, DOCX, PPTX, XML, XLS, TXT, WPD, XLSX, XLS
- Web documents: HTM, HTML, MHT, MHTML
- External links to Google Drive
- External links to Office 365
When downloading image evidence for viewing, the evidence is downloaded in the original file type and resolution. For example, if a learner uploads a full resolution JPEG file, the image may adjust size and resolution in the Portfolio viewer; however, an instructor downloading the image downloads a full resolution JPEG file.