Create bonus quiz questions
Create bonus questions to allow learners a chance to score extra marks on their quiz.
To create bonus quiz questions
- Navigate to Quizzes or Content.
- Click the desired quiz.
- Select the questions that you want to make as bonus questions.
- Click More Actions.
- Click Toggle Bonus.
Figure: Select Toggle Bonus from the More Actions drop-down menu.
Note: Bonus questions are shown to learners with the word (Bonus) displayed.
Figure: All bonus questions are shown with (Bonus) displayed.
Make a bonus question mandatory
- Navigate to Quizzes.
- Click the quiz you want to edit.
- Click the checkboxes for the bonus questions you want to make mandatory.
- Click More Actions > Toggle Mandatory.
Figure: Click More Actions > Toggle Mandatory to turn a bonus question into a mandatory question.
- Click Save and Close.
You have changed bonus questions into mandatory questions.
Note: If you no longer want to a make a question mandatory, repeat steps 3-4 to remove the mandatory setting. By clicking the Toggle Mandatory option, you can add or remove the mandatory setting.
Use Sections to organize quiz questions
You can use sections to organize related quiz questions and display them to learners with a section header on a single page. This is useful when you want to present questions to a learner, but also organize questions conceptually by theme or parent topic. For example, sections could allow you to present all questions related to biology on a single page, or display a series of single biology questions on pages, each with the same section header.
To use sections to organize quiz questions
- From your organization or course navbar, click Quizzes.
- Click New Quiz.
- Enter a Name for your quiz.
- Under Questions, click Create New and select Section. The New Section page opens.
Figure: The New Section page.
- Enter a Section Title and click Save.
- To create a quiz question to add to this section, click Create New > New Question or select a question from the Question Pool.
- Click and drag the quiz question into the Section. The quiz question nests under the Section.
Figure: A quiz Section with a quiz question nested under it.
- Repeat steps 5 to 7 to create more sections and nested quiz questions.
- Click Timing & Display. Under Paging select Add page break after each section. This ensures that each section and all quiz questions nested under that section will display separately on a page.
Figure: The Paging option set to Add page break after each section.
- Click Save and then click Preview.
Note: When you preview, each Section that you create displays all the questions nested under it on a single page.
Sections are added to your quiz to display related questions on a single page.
Align learning outcomes to quiz questions
When you align a question to a learning outcome, the learning outcomes is aligned to all uses of that question within quizzes in the same course offering. It is possible to bulk align to all questions within a question pool or section.
In addition, you can align learning outcomes to question pools. If you align a question pool to an outcome, all questions in that pool are aligned in all incidences of the question inside and outside the question pool.
To align learning outcomes to quiz questions
- From the course navbar or Course Admin > Assessment, click Quizzes.
- Click a quiz that already contains quiz questions.
Figure: The Manage Quizzes tab with a sample quiz highlighted.
- Select one or more questions or question pools to be aligned with standards, then click More Actions.
Note: The More Actions drop-down menu does not activate until you have at least one item selected.
Figure: The Questions page in the New Experience, with the More Actions drop-down menu highlighted.
- Click Align to Standards.
Select the check boxes for the learning outcomes you want to align to the quiz questions and click Add. The associated standards now appear under each of the selected questions.
- To remove learning outcome alignments on quiz questions, select one or more questions or question pools that are aligned with standards and click More Actions.
- Click Align to Standards.
Uncheck boxes for the learning outcomes you want to remove from the quiz questions and click Add. The associated standards are now removed from the question.
When a question in a quiz has a learning outcome aligned to it, an outcome tag appears next to the question in the Quiz Builder View and the Question Pool Editor. The Question Pool view also shows the cumulative list of all outcomes aligned to questions within the pool.
Customize the submission view to show quiz answers to learners
To release the submission view to learners immediately upon completion of the quiz, on the Edit quiz page > Assessment tab, select the Auto-publish attempt results immediately upon completion check box. Submission views are set up in terms of a default view and an additional view. The default view enables all learners, for instance, to see their final quiz score immediately after submitting the quiz. You could edit the default view and show questions answered incorrectly, show questions answered correctly, show all questions without user responses, or show all questions with user responses. Displaying a detailed submission view to all learners immediately after submitting a quiz would work if all learners took the quiz at the same time. However, if learners are completing the quiz at different times, and you want to ensure that learnersdo not share the answer key with other learners, you may choose to create an additional submission view. This additional view only appears tolearners when you publish the feedback on a quiz attempt.
To customize the quiz submission view
- On the navbar, click Quizzes.
- On the Manage Quizzes page, click the quiz you want to create a submission view for.
- Click on the Evaluation and Feedback drop-down list.
- Click Customize Quiz Results Displays.
- Click Edit View to customize the submission view. The questions are visible to learners in the submission view, select one of the following options to specify how you want the questions to appear:
- Don't show - No questions appear in the submission view.
- All Questions - All quiz questions and learner responses are displayed in the submission view.
- Incorrect questions only with learner responses - Only incorrectly answered questions appear in the submission view.
- Correct questions only with learner responses - Only correctly answered questions appear in the submission view.
- Click Update.
- Click OK to return to the Manage Quizzes page.
- For the When publishing, display to learners section, you can choose to show students their Attempt grade and choose from the dropdown list how the questions should display in the submission view.
- Click OK.
- Click Save and Close.
Submission view settings are saved for your quiz.
Provide a random set of quiz questions
Randomizing your quiz questions prevents learners from sharing the questions and answers with other learners in the course. This prevents cheating and removes an advantage somelearners may have over others.
To give each learner a random set of quiz questions
- Navigate to Content.
- In the module where you want your quiz to live, click Create New.
Figure: The Create New option in Content.
- On the What would you like to create? page, click Quiz.
Figure: The Quiz option on the What would you like to create? page.
- In the Questions section, click Create New > Question Pool.
Figure: The Create New drop-down showing the Question Pool option.
- Enter a Question Pool Title, the Number of Questions to Select, and the Points per Question.
- Click Browse Question Library.
Figure: The New Question Pool dialog.
- Select from the existing questions in the Question Library and click Add.
- Click Save.
Video: Create a randomized set of quiz questions
About random sections
You can create random sections in quizzes to distribute a unique set of questions to individual users. Random sections pull questions from a designated pool of questions stored in the question library.
Since you can only access random sections within quizzes, you must create a quiz before you can create its random sections. You can import an infinite number of questions from Question Library into each random section, but you cannot create new questions within random section folders.
Managing random sections (renaming, reordering, deleting) is similar to managing quiz questions except you cannot publish random sections.
About question pools
Question pools allow you to create quizzes with randomized questions while using the new Question Creation Experience. Question pools are an effective way to prevent cheating on quizzes as they ensure each learner receives a unique set of questions. Once you have entered a title, the number of questions to select, and the points per question for your question pool, you can browse the Question Library or existing quizzes, surveys, and self-assessments, to select the desired questions. It is recommended that you organize your Question Library to include a section for each quiz. This makes it easier to locate the correct questions during the question pool creation process. A dynamic preview is automatically generated when questions are imported into a question pool. The preview allows instructors to quickly get an idea of how the question pool appear to learners when taking the quiz.
Converting random sections to question pools
In the quiz creation experience, all existing random sections convert to question pools. This does not change the quiz taking experience for learners.
In some cases, the system prompts you to move content from a former random section into a parent section. This occurs when either of the following conditions are met:
- the random section settings have Show Section Name selected
- the random section message field contains information
When you convert the random section, the title and message information moves to a parent section, and the randomization settings and questions move to a question pool nested inside that parent section.