For final grade items, grade exemptions affect the scores as follows:
- Exempted items are excluded from the calculation. These grade items are treated as empty grades, not as 0 if Treat Ungraded Items as 0 is turned on.
- If all items are exempted, there are no grades to use to calculate a final grade. The final grade will not have a score.
Viewing grade item statistics that include exemptions
Grade item exemptions appear in class statistics and are removed from statistic calculations.
- On the Class Statistics tab, the number of submitted grades is reduced (the exempted learner is not included); calculations, such as minimum and maximum, do not include the exempted learner; and the grade distribution excludes the students with the exempted grade item.
- On the User Statistics tab, Exempt displays in the grade column for learners with grade exemptions.
Viewing grade category statistics that include exemptions
On the Class Statistics tab, learners who are exempted from all item in a category are handled as follows:
- The number of grades submitted is reduced from the maximum number of learner who can submit.
- Calculations such as minimum and maximum do not include the exempted learner.
- Grade distribution does not include exempted learners.
When exempted from all items in a category, the learner appears as Exempt on the User Statistics page. Otherwise, the category reflects the appropriate calculations which account for the exemptions.
How grade exemptions affect release conditions
Instructors can set release conditions to release new content to learners after a grade item is complete. Since grade exemptions do not count as a completed grade item nor do they count as an incomplete grade item, there are two release conditions that are effected by exemptions:
- Grade Value on grade item
- No grade received
These release items respect the exemption and do not trigger on the presence of a grade exemption. For example, if a Grade Value on grade item condition is set on a content item, a user who is exempt from the grade item listed in the release condition will not have access to the content.