Brightspace Editor is the default editor across Brightspace. You can find Brightspace Editor nearly everywhere you create content in Brightspace.
Figure: The Brightspace Editor.
Brightspace Editor allows users to create and insert content across Brightspace.
Note: When creating or editing Content files with Brightspace Editor or in Manage Files, there is a character limitation of 2.5 million. If the number of characters exceeds the limit, a warning message displays to explain that the number of characters exceeds the allowed amount. The exception to this character limit is uploaded files, but restrictions apply if you edit the uploaded content.
Users can use Brightspace Editor tools for the following:
- Format: Change the format of your text to be a paragraph, heading, blockquote, or code.
Figure: The format options.
- Bold: Bold text.
- Italic: Italicize text.
- Inline Formats: Alter your text to the underline, strike-through, superscript, or subscript formats.
- Select Color: Change the color of your text with the color picker.
Figure: The Select Color icon.
Figure: The color picker.
- Alignment: Change the alignment of text.
- List: Choose between different list formats and indentations.
- Insert Stuff: Add content from across Brightspace, your device, and third-party tools. You can add various content like images, links, videos, and more.
Figure: The Insert Stuff icon.
Figure: The different content options in the Insert Stuff dialog.
- Insert Quicklink: Add links to course materials and third-party content.
Figure: The Insert Quicklink dialog.
- Insert Image: Add an image from your device or course offering files.
- Other Insert Options: Add other elements like equations, tables, attributes, dividers, emojis, symbols, and code.
Figure: The Other Insert Options elements.
- More Actions (...): Expand the Brightspace Editor toolbar.
- Fullscreen: Enter fullscreen mode for Brightspace Editor.
- Font: Change the text font.
- Font Size: Change the text size.
- Format Painter: Highlight text to change its format or insert a link.
- Accessibility Checker: Check if your content is accessible for all users. The Accessibility Checker dialog notes where and why your content is not accessible and encourages revisions.
Figure: The Accessibility Checker icon.
Figure: The Accessibility Checker dialog.
- Word Count: View the word count for your content.
- Preview: View how your content will appear to users when published.
- Source Code: View and edit the HTML for your content.
- Undo/Redo: Reverse an action.
What is not included in Brightspace Editor
The list below outlines what is not included in the Editor:
- Spell check functionality: D2L recommends using your browser spell check functionality. However, the d2l.Tools.Quizzing.ShowSpellCheckInAttempts org unit configuration variable is still respected and marks text in Quizzes to be ignored by the browser spell checker. It can be turned off for all quizzes at the org unit level.
- Cut/Paste functionality: D2L recommends using your browser hot keys and menus for this functionality.
Important: In Brightspace Editor, when you upload a file using Insert Stuff, a message appears indicating that the files uploaded using Insert Stuff are saved in the Manage Files area. The message also indicates that files in the Manage Files area are potentially accessible to all users enrolled in the course or to anyone who has access to the course. As best practice do not include individual learner feedback in the files you are uploading using Insert Stuff.
Content viewing options
The Brightspace Editor has three options you can choose when viewing content:
- Design View: The design view loads automatically when Brightspace Editor is accessed. Use this view to quickly create and format content without needing any prior knowledge of HTML. Enter your content and use the available controls to apply formatting to your text, insert images and tables, and create links.
Figure: The Design View for Brightspace Editor.
- Source Editor View: Click the HTML Source Editor icon to display the source editor view. This view displays the code that structures and formats your content. Use this view if you have experience with HTML and prefer to author your content in HTML or want to apply styles from a cascading style sheet (CSS). If you have HTML-based content from another application, you can also copy and paste that code into the source editor view.
Figure: The Source Editor View for Brightspace Editor.
- Preview: Use the view to display a preview of your HTML content in a new window. This allows you to preview content and ensure that it displays as expected prior to saving any changes.
Figure: The Preview view for Brightspace Editor.
Brightspace Editor's inline Editor
The Quiz Builder and Activity Feed support the inline Editor.
The inline-limited version of Brightspace Editor is available in Activity Feed as the default editor. The Brightspace Editor HTML options in Activity Feed include:
- Underline, Strike-through, Superscript, and Subscript
- Font Color
- Bulleted Lists, Numbered Lists, and Increase/Decrease Indentation
- Insert Stuff
- Insert Quicklink
Insert Stuff includes various capabilities, including Video Note functionality.
Figure: The inline limited version of Brightspace Editor in Activity Feed.