In the Grades tool, if a grade book is not set up or imported for your course, you will see the Grades Setup Wizard page when you first navigate to the tool.
Note: If you cannot select the Automatically release final grade option, contact your administrator and request that they grant you permission.
- Navigate to Grades.
- Click Setup Wizard.
Figure: The Setup Wizard tab in Grades.
- On the Grades Setup Wizard page, click Start.
- Select your Grading System (Weighted, Points, or Formula), then click Continue.
Figure: Choosing your grading system.
- On the Step 2: Final Grade Release page, choose how you want to release final grades. You can select the following:
Figure: The Final Grade Released page.
- Select Calculated Final grade if you will always rely on the grading formula you have identified, and there is no requirement to adjust those grades without editing the grade item score.
- Select Adjusted final grade if you want the ability to adjust users' grades before releasing them.
- Additionally, you can select the optional Automatically release final grade check box. If you prefer to manually release final grades, leave the check box unchecked.
Note: If you selected Automatically release final grade, D2L recommends that you select Drop ungraded items (in Step 3, below) so that the released grades better reflect the users' current grades throughout the term.
Note: If an instructor using the Automatically release Final Grade option changes the final grade value after it has already been released, the final grade is not automatically released again with the new value. This might occur if an instructor grades an additional item that changes the calculated final grade item. Student final grades that already have a value are not automatically released when this variable is turned on. The grades are only released the first time a Final Grade is calculated from Null to a final grade value.
- Click Continue.
- On the Grade Calculations page, select how you want Ungraded Items to be treated. You can choose to:
- Drop ungraded items: Items that are not graded will not count towards the final grade.
- Treat ungraded items as 0: Items that do not have a grade inputted are counted as 0 in the final grade.
- Select the Automatically keep final grade updated checkbox if you want to always keep learners' final grades updated. This option automatically adjusts final grades after you change a grade item or calculation option.
Figure: The Grade Calculations page.
On the Choose Default Grade Scheme page, select your default grading scheme.
- On the Managing View Display Options page, in the Number of decimal places to display field, enter the number of decimal places to display to users who enter grades using the grade book.
Figure: The Managing View Display Options page.
- Click Continue.
- On the Student View Display Options page, select your Grade Details, the number of Decimals Displayed, the number of Characters Displayed, and the Final Grade Calculation display.
Figure: The Student View Display Options page.
- Click Continue.
- On the Grades Setup Summary page, review your selections.
- Do one of the following:
- To make changes to your grade book setup, click Go Back.
- Click Finish.
Video: Grades Tool Setup Wizard
About bonus grade items
Bonus grade items are not included in the maximum points for a category or final grade. They are added on top of the calculated grade.
Bonus grade items cannot make learners' grades exceed the maximum points specified, unless the Can Exceed option is selected.
Bonus grades cannot be the only grade items contributing to users’ final grades. They need to be applied on top of other grades already entered.
Note: Bonus grade items do not display to learners with the grade scheme information like other grade items, no matter what display options you set. Because bonus grades are only added to final grades after all other calculations, learners can only view the numeric points, and potentially the weight achieved, for a bonus grade, but no other grade scheme information, as the actual weight or points of the bonus grade item may not be consistent with the rest of the grade scheme.
About rounding grades
Grades always display as the rounded value for both instructors and learners. However, for calculation purposes, grades are always calculated using the raw value. The displayed grade in your grade book is the rounded version of the final calculated raw value.
Grades can be set to display decimal values up to a maximum of five decimal places. The Managing View Display Options section allows you to manage the decimal display for instructors. The Student View Display Options section allows you to manage how many decimals of a grade are displayed to learners.
Figure: Click in the Number of decimal places to display fields to select how many decimal places are viewable for instructors and learners.
Grades are automatically rounded up in your grade book. However, if you want to round grades down instead of up, you will have to manually manufacture a rounding system by creating a new grade scheme. This can be done by navigating to Grades > Schemes and clicking New Scheme. Another option is to manually override rounded grades by entering the value yourself in your grade book.