Add the Game Based Learning link to a Navbar
Add the Game Based Learning link to your navbar for quick access to the tool for yourself and other users.
To add the Game Based Learning link to a navbar
- Open the Admin Tools menu, and select Navigation & Themes.
- Click the name of the navbar you want to update.
- On the Edit Navbar page, click Add Links.
Figure: The Add Links option on the Edit Navbar page.
- Locate the Game Based Learning link, select the corresponding check box, and click Add.
Figure: The Add Links dialog showing the Game Based Learning tool.
- Click Save and Close.
Note: If Game Based Learning is enabled for your course/organization, a link to Game Based Learning is available on your course's Course Admin page.
Create a Game Map
You can provide game based learning for your students by creating a game map with defined nodes to signify progress through the map.
To create a game map
- On your course navbar or from Course Admin, click Game Based Learning.
- Click New Game Map, enter a Map Name and Map Description, and click Next.
- Do one of the following:
- Select a background from the available options.
- Click Upload Image, and then click Next.
- Select from the available brushes, and click on the map background to place items on the map.
- Once all tiles are added, click Next.
- Select from the available objects, and click on the map background to place them on the map.
- Once all objects are added, click Next.
- Locate the Start and Finish nodes on either side of the map.
- Drag and drop the nodes to place them in their desired positions.
- Click Start, then click Edit to edit the activity and add a Name and Description.
- Click Add to add a new activity node.
- Click an activity node’s Edit option to link to an activity (quiz or assignment), select a file, or create a file.
- Drag and drop the Branch from one node to another to create a branching path. This gives learners more than one route through the activities to complete the Game Map.
- Use Delete to remove unwanted nodes or connections between nodes.
- Use Branch to connect the final activities to the Finish node.
- Once you have created all nodes and connections, and linked each node with an activity or file, click Next.
- Any nodes that do not have associated activities, or do not include a name they are listed above the map for the instructor to correct before continuing.
- Preview the Game Map to ensure the nodes and activities are linked properly and click Save.
Note: D2L recommends creating content items, assignments, and quizzes prior to starting the Game Map creation process.
Add a Game Map to Content
- Navigate to Content, open or add a module and click Existing Activities.
- Click Game Map, and select the game map you want to add.
Create a Game Map in Content
- Navigate to Content, open or add a module and click Upload / Create.
- Click New Game Map, and follow the Game Map creation process.
Copy Game Maps between courses
- Navigate to the course you want to copy a game map into.
- Open the Admin Tools menu, and select Import / Export / Copy Components.
- Select the radio button for Copy Components from another Org Unit and click Search for offering.
- Search for a course that includes game maps you want to copy into your course.
- Select the radio button next to the Offering Code, and click Add Selected.
- Click Select Components, and on the Choose Components to Copy page, select the Game Based Learning checkbox.
- Use the radio buttons to choose Select individual items to copy, and click Continue.
- Check the box beside any of the game maps you want to copy, and click Continue.
- If required, use the Offset Dates feature to offset the dates of copied components.
- Click Finish.
Note: Importing and Exporting Game Maps is not supported at this time.
Track learner progress in Game Maps
The Map Progress page table displays the names of the learners on your classlist, the number of activities each learner has completed for a specific map, and if the map has been completed by the learner.
To view map progress:
- On your course navbar, click Game Based Learning.
- Below the game map you want to examine, click Map Progress.
Figure: Map Progress in Game Based Learning.