Welcome to the Brightspace Community! We hope you are excited about your new role as a Brightspace Instructor, Educator, Facilitator, or Subject Matter Expert. We want to help ensure that you have the resources and support to be successful in your new role so we have compiled a list of Community Resources and recommend courses in our Learning Center to help you get started.
Learning Centre Resources
Description: Learn how to connect your place of learning to the Brightspace Community, and how to access some of it's most valuable resources! Complete the first module to unlock an award that can be shared with your professional network!
Description: D2L's Guided Training Program includes access to self-guided content and opportunities to attend instructor-guided training webinars. This program is recommended for anyone designing, building, teaching, or facilitating courses within the Brightspace platform (and for those who support them).
- You'll Love: The activities that help you test out how to do something in Brightspace, before you start to implement changes in your own Brightspace Learning Environment.
Description: This short course is intended for anyone using Brightspace as an introduction to disabilities, assistive technologies, and Brightspace accessibility features. It includes hands-on exercises that provide practical experience in using some accessibility features and tools.
- You'll Love: The hands-on exercises to provide practical experience using some of Brightspace's accessibility features & tools.
Description: This is an in-depth course that provides detailed information about how to plan for your success with Brightspace including the teams you can connect with for help, how to use different Brightspace tools, and client case studies too!
- You'll Love: The client case studies that show how other places of learning are using Brightspace in their educational programming
- The overviews of Brightspace Tools that help you pick and choose the ones that are right for your teaching and learning goals
Description: Build beautiful, visually consistent content with the course templates. The download file is included in the linked article, and you can see what they really look like, and how they interact in the Learning Center.
Description: The start to a new term/semester doesn't have to be something to dread! Within this Learning Center resource, learn how to successfully manage users, create courses, and recycle existing learning materials for a new term/session/semester, while understanding key considerations and best practices for creating these courses.
- You'll Love: The downloadable checklist for facilitators to help you prepare for rollover.
Description: Metacognition is our own thinking about our thinking. In this course you'll get to create a Learning Design Sequence for an subject area that integrates metacognitive teaching and learning strategies PLUS connect with strategy champions from UCD in each scaffolded task via Discussions.
Description: In Learning through Story, D2L Instructional Designer Amanda Darling will demonstrate the value of storytelling in online learning, break down the components of a successful story, explain how stories can be connected to course content, and provide learners with examples of how to apply storytelling to their courses while making full use of the Brightspace Learning Environment tools.
Description: This resource is part inspiration, part free download resource! HTML Templates V2 are designed and grouped under course types that you may teach. The content pages provide helpful guidance on how you might structure your online learning, as well as which tools you may incorporate in your course design
- You'll Love: Download the entire resource and add it to your Brightspace (Instructions and Download available in Course Welcome Message)
- The directions for how to create courses that focus on different skill sets
- Incorporating more Brightspace Tools, and
- More Instructional Design Best Practices built right into these "HTML Templates+"
Description: Are you looking for a bit of course design inspiration? Try different learning interactives presented in the context of a corporate leadership course, and see how the Learning and Creative Services Team might partner with you to co-create a branded, engaging learning experience.
- You'll Love: Seeing what Adult Learning Knowledge Checks can look like in Brightspace
Description: Access 3 quick tutorials demonstrating the use of Video Note for both Instructors and Learners at New York University with Instructional Technologist and Adjunct Faculty, Clea Mahoney.
- You'll Love: Learning how another School is using Video Note with Faculty and Students
- Quick and easy video tutorials to show you how you can use this tool too!
Description: This tool can be downloaded from the linked article or used from inside of the Learning Center. The Quiz Question Converter Tool helps you to import lots of questions into your Quiz Question Library in Brightspace, so that your can use a full bank of questions in the Quiz Tool, Survey Tool, and Self-Assessment Tool.
- You'll Love: Saving time by building a bank of questions that can be reused in multiple quizzes, self-assessments, and surveys
- Using the tool directly from the Learning Center, or importing it into your own Brightspace!
We hope you are excited to begin teaching/facilitating with Brightspace! Connect with administrators and colleagues at your organization or Community members in various Community Groups to begin brainstorming ways to bring your teaching and learning vision to life.