Sharing documents

Regine.D.9648
Regine.D.9648 Posts: 2 🔍
How can I share Word documents and links with my students on Brightspace?

Answers

• Hi @Regine.D.9648

Thanks for reaching out to the Brightspace Community.

There are a few ways that you can share Word documents with your students depending on how you want your students to interact with the document.

1. When adding content, you can choose to "Add Existing" then upload your Word document right on this page. That will display the document in its own window for your students to scroll through, read, download, print, all depending on what permissions they have.

2. If you document is on your OneDrive cloud storage, you can use the URL to add an HTML link within a regular HTML page, to the document. For this, the students will need to have the correct permissions to view the file on your OneDrive.
    3. If your LMS Admin have enabled the OneDrive Quicklink, you can also add an HTML Link to your document via the Quicklink feature within a regular content page. For this, your students will also have to have the correct permissions to be able to view the file from your OneDrive.

4. New in June when adding a file from OneDrive to an Assignment, that file will be uploaded directly into Brightspace, so that you will not need to worry about the sharing options within OneDrive.

We hope this helps and please reach out if you have further questions.

Regards,

• Arman.V.176
    Arman.V.176 Posts: 29 🌱

@Douglas.I.860

If the institution has an LTI integration of OneDrive with Brightspace can one then use 'Add existing' and add a file present (lets ay a Word document) on the OneDrive to display that document right on that page. So that it will display the document in its own window for our students to scroll through, read, download, print, all depending on what permissions they have? We don't have this LTI integration yet at our institution. Now when I want add a file present on our SharePoint environment I use the link (Create new). But the file won't display in that window due to security reasons. If a students wants to read the file it has to click the page first to open it in a new window. I find this rather unser unfriendly.

Regards,

Arman

• Hi @Arman.V.176 ,

Thanks for reaching out to the Brightspace Community. Yes it appears that with the OneDrive LTI, you can embed files, but there are some limitations. Please see the PIE item here. I haven't been able to test in my site, maybe someone else can confirm?

Regards,