Gating of Videos & Creator+ content

Hello - my question is two fold. I know that release conditions are available for Course Content files and then also assignments. Is there a way to create a condition to ensure that if say a Video was added to a Content File - that a student must view the video before they can move on? And the same question applies to a Creator+ feature - say the accordion, that student would need to click on each tab before they could proceed.

I like the gating - but it seems to be limiting and not requiring students to actually complete the content on the screen and can just bypass. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Answers

• Stefanie.B.518
    Stefanie.B.518 Posts: 542 admin

Hi @Jocelyn.J.726
    I think your point here is a good one!

There isn't a release condition specific to the play through of a video, the selection of a tab or accordion element in Brightspace.

I think at the heart of your question is a concern that when these types of gates are put in place- some learners might just "flip through" versus take the time to review all the material.

If this is the problem, more release conditions on the "view of content" might not be as effective as a required single question quiz, or discussion post that offers insight or evidence of comprehension of the material covered in the content itself.

I think students will always feel a bit short of time when it comes to completion of their course material- but using awards or checklists to show them a path of completion that feels clearly laid out with links to the section of the course where they "show what they know", can be a helpful way (I think) to put that sense of urgency to constructive work for their own benefit.

Expanding the set of release conditions is a great idea, and we'd be lucky to have you document it with us through the Product Idea Exchange. This article describes what the Product Idea Exchange is, and how it can help inform product roadmap decisions for Brightspace