Welcome to the D2L Customer Success Monthly Newsletter for October 2023! This month we are highlighting upcoming events, success stories from customers just like you, and highlights from the September Release Notes.
Events and Webinars
- Reimaginando la Educación Híbrid (LATAM)
- Octubre 5, 10:00 AM Ciudad de México / 11:00 AM Bogotá, Virtual
- La educación híbrida es un concepto cada vez más debatido en el ámbito educativo y se ha convertido en una realidad para muchas instituciones. Anteriormente, este modelo se consideraba como la combinación de actividades de aprendizaje realizadas en espacios físicos o virtuales. Da clic aquí para registrarte.
- Teaching and Learning Reimagined (EMEA)
- October 12th, 12:00 BST / 13:00 CEST, Virtual
- How institutions in EMEA can prepare and support educators for success in the new world of teaching. Click to register.
- Teaching & Learning in India Reimagined (APAC)
- October 12th, 2:00 pm IST, Virtual
- The National Education Policy 2020’s emphasis on online and personalized learning has triggered a significant infusion of technology into education. This transformation aligns with evolving student expectations, compelling educational institutions in India to shift toward student-centric teaching methods. Click to register.
- What’s New for October 20.23.10
- October 17th, 11:00 am EST, Virtual
- Want to stay on top of the latest and greatest in Brightspace being released this month? Click to register.
- Boost Student Outcomes District-Wide with SEL
- October 17th, 3:00 pm EST, Virtual
- Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) can help boost student mental health, resilience and overall success. Join us to explore SEL and how you can help your teachers incorporate it into their classrooms. Click to register.
- Learning by Association (EMEA)
- October 26th, 14:00 BST / 15:00 CEST, Virtual
- How the UK’s top professional associations are unlocking revenue and diversifying their member value proposition through learning. Click to register.
- Brightspace Guided Training Q&A
- October 31st, 11:00 am, Virtual
- Join us during this session to share your questions and learn about helpful resources available in the Brightspace Community. Click to register.
- Convos with Community: Pumpkin Spice Edition
- October 31st, 12:00 pm, Virtual
- Community Members, grab your favourite hot drink and join the Community team to hear from a Product Expert, review the latest resources, and learn about upcoming events! Click to Register.
You can find a list of other events taking place in the Brightspace Community.
Release Notes Highlights
Highlights from the September release:
- Brightspace Virtual Assistant: For clients subscribed to the End User Support package, a new button allows the Virtual Assistant to become fully localized in all chosen user locales.
- Discover: In August, a feature to create and add enrollment rules to multiple courses was released. In September, users with the correct permissions can search the Enrollment Rules page or search for courses from the Create Enrollment Rule pages to help manage enrollment rules at scale.
- Quizzes: Instructors will now be able to set up synchronous quizzes to facilitate quizzes where learners take the quiz at the same time, which is convenient for in-class sessions. Learners also will have a countdown timer on the Quiz details/start page, so they are aware as soon as the Quiz becomes available and the time remaining.
- Widgets: The legacy Brightspace Community Widget is no longer supported by D2L now that documentation has migrated to the new Community site. Administrators are encouraged to remove the widget from the homepage.
Visit the Brightspace Community for the full list of Release Notes from September and view the updates that will be coming to your instance in October. For a look at our long-term plans, check out the Product Roadmap to see what is on the horizon and keep an eye on the high-impact changes timeline for upcoming changes to default Brightspace behaviour.
Bentley University is recognized as one of the leading business schools in the U.S., largely due to the school’s unwavering commitment to innovation. As part of this pursuit, the university recently evaluated its learning management system and decided to switch to D2L Brightspace in order to further support its innovative efforts.
Surrey School District has created digital onboarding and professional learning opportunities for its teachers, helping the organization staff its classrooms and welcome thousands of new students every year.
Good Roads, a municipal association dedicated to promoting the improvement of Ontario’s roads, has taken a bold step into the world of online education with the support of D2L Brightspace. By embracing online learning, Good Roads has not only found a valuable revenue stream but has also succeeded in engaging new audiences within the private sector and First Nations communities, empowering them with vital knowledge and resources.
Kaplan Financial, the UK division of Kaplan Incorporated, provides training courses for accountancy and finance professionals to gain industry accreditation by passing high-stakes examinations. Teaching over 45,000 learners each year, Kaplan Financial leveraged a gamification tool within D2L’s Brightspace solution that puts gamification at the heart of learning—inspiring effective studying practices and improving exam pass rates.
Vision Australia’s employees and volunteers are committed to the organization’s mission to support Australians who are blind or have low vision achieve the possibilities they choose in life. Around 15% of Vision Australia’s workforce are blind or have low vision, so to ensure that everyone can benefit from its training resources, the company is using D2L’s Brightspace platform to deliver highly accessible online courses.
La Universidad Cooperativa de Colombia (UCC), viene trabajando en mejorar su curva de aprendizaje del estudiante a través del modelo de competencias. Para realizar su objetivo la UCC inició la implementación y el uso de tecnología, adoptando a la plataforma Brightspace y fortaleciendo así su modelo de competencias. Con Brightspace se lograron nuevos análisis y reportes que les ayudaron a seguir y mejorar el aprendizaje de sus estudiantes.
O corpo docente também foi impactado positivamente durante esse período. “O nosso professor, mais do que nunca, se tornou um aprendiz. Ele se viu diante de um mundo novo, com muitas necessidades de aprendizagem, e se abriu para tudo isso com um único objetivo: alcançar o aluno”, nos conta a Gerente do Centro de Inovação. Desse modo, foi adotada a formação continuada, com uma série de conteúdos e materiais disponibilizados por meio do Positivo+, ambiente online hospedado na Plataforma Brightspace, em que os professores puderam ter acesso a um ciclo de aprendizagem docente com mais de dois meses de duração.
If you would like to be featured in a future success story, please reach out to your CSM or reply to this email.
Have you used Course Updater? Administrators can save time by using Course Updater to update course start and end dates along with the active/inactive status in bulk! This tool is very helpful if the status and course dates are not controlled by another mechanism.
We’re making improvements to enhance your Community Discussions categorization with YOU in mind! Categories are the high-level organizers of your discussions in the Community, and each discussion must be placed in a Category.
This is different from a tag allowing you to mark a particular tool that you might be asking about. This categorization also allows you and subject matter experts to hop into the community to find all related questions! Learn More on our Content Categorization Update!
New Group Alert
Check out our newest Community Group, the New Client Peer Network which brings together Brightspace users with administrative-level roles (such as LMS admins, Instructional Technologists, etc.) at North American Higher Education clients who are new to Brightspace. This group supports clients who are in the implementation or pilot stages of their Brightspace rollout and clients who are in their first full academic year launch of Brightspace. This group will meet monthly to discuss strategies, experiences, products, and workflows. Depending on the monthly theme, a D2L expert will be available to provide guidance and information. New-to-D2L clients can request to join this group by accessing it here: Request Access
D2L News: D2L Unveils D2L for Business
- D2L announces the formal launch of D2L for Business – a corporate learning solution designed to maximize return on investment (ROI) in learning and help empower employers to attract, retain, onboard, and upskill their workforce. D2L for Business combines the benefits of an existing network of world-class education providers, skill development solutions, and expert consulting services along with D2L’s Learning Experience Platform (LXP) and authoring tools, creating one integrated, easy-to-use corporate solution.
- Connecting tools to help create a cohesive technology ecosystem isn’t just a good idea—doing so is a must. Organizations need their tech stack to communicate and share data so they can help to eliminate delays, improve communication, and increase accuracy. Enter D2L Link.
- Brightspace assessable activities inside the New Content Experience (NCE) are getting an exciting makeover in the December update! These new pages will be available for Assignments, Quizzes, Discussion Topics, and External Learning Tool (LTI) links. The new display pages in NCE bring information on each activity front and center with a consistent layout across activity types, and the pages include completion information and submission workflows, improving the user experience and closing a major gap between Classic Content and NCE.
- The expanded partnership between FeedbackFruits and D2L will help provide D2L Brightspace users with scalable pedagogical solutions for peer feedback, social annotation, team-based learning, and polling to help drive effective teaching and learning.
On-Demand Webinar Highlight: Transforming K–12 Professional Learning: Lessons from the Field
- Learn about professional learning models that ensure collaboration, delivery, engagement, growth and successful implementation. Help your schools thrive and provide the quality education your students deserve.
- Product Road Map
- ASC Resource List
- K12 Community Groups – K12 Educators, BC K12 Educators, Ontario Educators, NYCPS Educators, Accessibility Interest Group, Assessment Advisory Group
- HE Community Groups – Higher Education Faculty, Accessibility Interest Group, Assessment Advisory Group
- Professional Learning Community Groups – Learning by Associations, Accessibility Interest Group, Assessment Advisory Group
- EMEA Community Groups – D2L EMEA Community, Accessibility Interest Group, Assessment Advisory Group
- APAC Community Groups – D2L APAC Community, Accessibility Interest Group, Assessment Advisory Group
- LATAM Community Groups – Comunidad Latinoamericana, Comunidade Brasil, Accessibility Interest Group, Assessment Advisory Group
- D2L Champions Program