Welcome to the D2L Customer Success Monthly Newsletter for November 2023!
Events and Webinars
- 3-Part Data Series
- November 2nd, 16th, and 30th, 11:00 am EST, Virtual
- Join us for a 3-part series focusing on Course-Level Analytics, Building a Data Strategy, and Org-Level Analytics with the Learning Analytics Team. Check out the Community Events page to register for the 3 events.
- Save Faculty Time with Flexible Tools in D2L (EMEA)
- November 9th, 13:00 GMT, Virtual
- Join us for a live demo of the D2L Brightspace platform and our timesaving, easy-to-use tools that allow educators to provide exceptional and captivating learning experiences. Click to register.
- What’s New for November 20.23.11
- November 14th, 11:00 am EST, Virtual
- Want to stay on top of the latest and greatest in Brightspace being released this month? Click to register.
- D2L Connection: Colombia
- November 16-17, Hotel Salvio Parque, Bogotá
- Un emocionante evento de liderazgo intelectual para usuarios de Brightspace y aquellos interesados en explorar D2L.
- Exciting Updates in the New Content Experience
- November 22nd, 12:00 pm EST, Virtual
- Join for a sneak peek at the new display pages for assessable activities to see how it can benefit YOU in your Brightspace instance. Click to register.
- FeedbackFruits | Digital Teaching Tools for Higher Ed
- November 23, 12pm SGT, 9.30am IST, 3pm AEST, Virtual
- FeedbackFruits is an easy way to organize and implement peer feedback assignments, team based learning, and online discussion into your course through the Brightspace environment. Join us for this dynamic session as we explore FeedbackFruits and peer assessment in Higher-Ed, share best practices and answer your questions live! Click to register.
- Brightspace Guided Training: Q&A
- November 28th, 11:00 am EST, Virtual
- Join us during this session to share your questions and learn about helpful resources available in the Brightspace Community. Click to register.
- D2L Connection: Alberta
- November 30th, Southern Alberta Institute of Technology-SAIT
- Connect with peers in education, business and associations to share insights and best practices for learning and professional development. Click to register.
- Other Events
- You can find a list of other events taking place in the Brightspace Community.
Release Notes Highlights
Highlights from the October release:
- Brightspace Editor: When creating content or widgets a text direction attribute can now be applied to the entire page when using the 'Attributes > Page Attributes' menu in the Brightspace Editor. This allows the entire page to have either 'Left to Right' or 'Right to Left' text direction set. Previously it was possible to only set the text direction attribute on 'Selected Items'.
- Data Hub: A new outcomes course achievement scale Brightspace Data Set has been introduced allowing customers to track details on which scales and achievement thresholds are being used in specific courses.
- New Content Experience: Adding and managing Release Conditions and Standards is now available on the Create/Edit Pages in the New Content Experience for all content topics.
- Learning Outcomes: When searching for outcomes, the search algorithm will now return lists of outcomes using a fuzzy search technique commonly used in most search engines. This will return results for outcomes based off patterns approximately like the search criteria improving quality or results to consider basic spelling mistakes or typos.
Visit the Brightspace Community for the full list of Release Notes from October and view the updates that will be coming to your instance in November. For a look at our long-term plans, check out the Product Roadmap to see what is on the horizon and keep an eye on the high-impact changes timeline for upcoming changes to default Brightspace behaviour.
Purdue University Creates a Foundation for e-Learning Success
Starting university is a major milestone for students in their academic careers. It’s a time of new opportunities and challenges—and never has that been truer than for students during the COVID-19 pandemic. Instead of navigating a new campus, students had to adapt to online learning at the same time as their educators and administrators. Purdue University rose to the challenge with Learning Online 101, a self-paced Brightspace course created to help students adapt to virtual and dynamic learning environments. The course materials were designed to help students find answers to common questions about virtual learning and connect them with the university’s support services and learning resources. Find the story here.
Move this World: Nurturing healthier, happier classrooms with SEL
Social and emotional learning (SEL) is a hot topic in K–12 education, especially since the pandemic has highlighted the importance of mental and emotional health. Move This World is working with D2L to deliver interactive video exercises that help schools integrate SEL into daily classroom activities, taking the pressure off teachers and contributing to measurable reductions in incidents and suspensions. Find the story here.
United Food and Commercial Workers Union: Empowering Workers to Gain In-demand Skills
United Food and Commercial Workers Union (UFCW) Canada helps workers broaden their horizons and upskill for the future with online learning to ensure workers are not left behind in a changing labor market. Find the story here.
Aarhus University: Building the university of tomorrow
Aarhus University lays the foundation for innovative digital learning experiences that bridge the divide between the classroom and the world beyond. Read how they were able to strengthen communication and collaboration between educators and students by moving to D2L Brightspace. Find the story here.
Silkwood School: Helping Engaged Students Achieve their Dreams
Silkwood School equips students for university and career success with D2L. With D2L’s Brightspace platform, students at Silkwood can access their assignments and learning materials anywhere, anytime. Engaging written and video feedback from teachers helps students build their skills and stay motivated – leading to positive learning outcomes. Find the story here.
Centro Maria Molina
El Centro Mario Molina apuesta a la robustez de la plataforma Brightspace como su aliado en herramienta de aprendizaje virtual. Find the story here.
FAESA Instituto Ayrton Senna
Com 47 anos de história, 32 cursos presenciais, 22 na modalidade a distância e 12 ofertas de pós-graduação, a FAESA conquista o título de Melhor Centro Universitário do Brasil graças à inovação de suas práticas acadêmicas, fundamentada em uma metodologia própria de ensino-aprendizagem, denominada Aula FAESA. Personalização, Tecnologia e Experimentação são os pilares dessa metodologia, que tem o AVA como importante aliado na consolidação de um modelo próprio, com foco no sucesso do aluno. Find the story here.
If you would like to be featured in a future success story, please reach out to your CSM.
Welcome to the Community Corner!
We are excited to announce our latest update, the Community and Documentation Roadmap. Inspired by your feedback, we’ve released a forward-looking roadmap that outlines our upcoming plans for the Brightspace Community.
Looking for updates as they happen? Bookmark our Community Updates discussion thread!
We’re highlighting many of the changes, both in Community and in Brightspace, that are driven by your feedback in our Brightspace Community Newsletter. You can check out our latest edition, the Pumpkin Spice Edition.
Navigating Change Management in Higher Education
- Get an understanding of what change management is and different approaches for your institution to use when implementing a shift. Read the report here:
D2L’s Higher Education Survey Reveals Generative AI In Early Stages of Adoption
- The Generative Artificial Intelligence in Canadian Post-Secondary Education survey, conducted in partnership with the Canadian Digital Learning Research Association examines faculty and administrator views on Generative Artificial Intelligence (AI). Read the report’s findings here:
Take Your Data from Collecting Dust to Driving Results
- Learning Analytics helps you track progress, identify challenges and make data-driven decisions. Our Learning Analytics services team offers comprehensive analytics support that caters to both basic and advanced needs. Our goal is to help you achieve success by aiding with visualizations, dashboards, enablement and other value services.
Quarterly Bulletin: Engaging Higher Ed’s Post-Pandemic Generation
- The worst of the pandemic may be behind us, but educational challenges still persist in the college classroom. In the first T&L Studio Quarterly Bulletin, we dig through the latest research to break down the challenges that remain.
- Product Road Map
- ASC Resource List
- K12 Community Groups – K12 Educators, BC K12 Educators, Ontario Educators, NYCPS Educators, Accessibility Interest Group, Assessment Advisory Group
- HE Community Groups – Higher Education Faculty, Accessibility Interest Group, Assessment Advisory Group
- Professional Learning Community Groups – Learning by Associations, Accessibility Interest Group, Assessment Advisory Group
- EMEA Community Groups – D2L EMEA Community, Accessibility Interest Group, Assessment Advisory Group
- APAC Community Groups – D2L APAC Community, Accessibility Interest Group, Assessment Advisory Group
- LATAM Community Groups – Comunidad Latinoamericana, Comunidade Brasil, Accessibility Interest Group, Assessment Advisory Group
- D2L Champions Program