In the Release Notes for 20.24.10, "Brightspace Editor – Path detection warning & configuration..."

I have enabled the new configuration variable d2l.Tools.WYSIWYG.LinkPathDetection to On for the organization (on our test instance).

I was able to test and confirm that the new warning about images that exist outside the current course shell do work in the Brightspace Editor in many tools…but…I am not able to get this to work in questions in the Quizzes/Question Library tool. There is no warning. When I preview the quiz and view an image that is embedded in a question, I can see in the URL that the image is definitely being referred to in a different shell.

Does the editor in the questions tool use a different version of the editor, which somehow circumvents this warning script?

Our biggest complaint about broken images in course shells (because the image lives in a shell the student is not enrolled in) is in Quiz questions, so we're eager for any capability to catch these.

Thanks!

Answers

• Hi @Shelley.L.680,

In this blog post: https://community.d2l.com/brightspace/kb/articles/27456-link-path-detection-within-the-brightspace-editor
    It states:

For example, let’s say you added an image within a quiz question in a course offering whose course offering path was ‘/content/CourseB’ but the URL/link path to the image in the quiz question pointed to ‘/content/CourseA/Image.jpg’. This means that the image in the quiz question does not belong to the course offering you are editing the quiz question in, and so the editor displays an orange border around the image and provide the warning tooltip with information. It is likely that learners taking the quiz would be unable to see the image, especially if your organization has enabled the configuration variable d2l.Tools.ManageFiles.UseContentEnrollmentSecurity which does not allow users to see files within a course offering, unless they are enrolled into that course offering.

Hope that helps!

• Shelley.L.680
    Shelley.L.680 Posts: 4 🔍

Hi Janet,

Yes, I completely understand that is the intent. I've been testing before this goes live on our production instance later this week. In most tools, it works this way. But in my testing in creating/editing questions in the quiz library, this is not the case.

I have pasted in an image from from another shell into a new question, using the full path from the other shell. I saved the question, and when I edit the question and inspect that image, it has the path of the other shell…but does not display the orange outline. It just displays a regular blue outline.

I can open a ticket for this, if that's better.