Community Feedback🗨️

13»

Comments

• Hi,

Can you please either reinstate the ability to download the Admin guide or provide a guide-specific search on the page? The existing format borders on impossible to navigate because of all the nested sections. As a system admin I used to use the Admin guide as a quick reference for system settings that come up rarely which means I am never sure what section of the guide the information I'm looking for is. Before this new site, I could download the guide and do a keyword search to find what I was looking for now it's extremely challenging to locate specific documentation unless I already more or less know the answer and so can figure out where that information would be grouped.

• Stefanie.B.518
    Stefanie.B.518 Posts: 542 admin

Hi @Jacqueline.K.327
    Great news on guide-specific search found right on the page!

We’re working to release search throughout our Knowledge Bases in Q4! We’re sharing what features are coming out and when in our Community and Documentation Roadmap found on our Community Corner Page. As features are released, we’ll announce them in the Community Updates Discussion ex: Community Updates — Brightspace (d2l.com)

Very Grateful to you for connecting with us here to share feedback on how we can build a better Community together!  

• Joshua.F.430
    Joshua.F.430 Posts: 5 🔍
    I'm an art professor and frequently I have students submit many images per module. Right now the system displays them as links and I have to click on each one to view it or download them locally to view them. This is extremely arduous with large classes submitting multiple images per student. Is there any way to display the images in-line in the submissions? Images should really just be displayed in a stack when looking at assignment submissions. Many of my colleagues have opted to stop using D2L for this reason. Thanks!
  • Stefanie.B.518

Hi @jfield@tntech.edu
    You can mark each student's image file submission and fill in the rubric for them using the workflow shown in this evaluation video. This workflow allows you to view the images without having to download each one and also allows you to move between student submissions a little faster too.

• Janet.O.779
    Janet.O.779 Posts: 22 🧭

Hi, there. 🙂
    I was just reading this interesting page https://community.d2l.com/brightspace/kb/articles/19465-mixed-content-blocking-and-browser-changes-for-secure-pages
    FYI that in the little intro, the first paragraph is accidentally repeated within the second paragraph. Perhaps one of these two paragraphs is no longer meant to be there?

• Janet.O.779
    edited December 2023

Good morning, D2L Team. 🙂

I noticed that on the "Creating Question Library questions" page of the instructor documentation ( https://community.d2l.com/brightspace/kb/articles/3410-creating-question-library-questions ) the same sentence appears below the first heading "Organize questions with sections" as appeared directly above that heading. I'm not sure, but I'm wondering if the note about automatic filtering out of JavaScript and non-standard HTML might perhaps fit a bit more naturally a bit lower down the page… where the documentation talks about question types and/or creating questions? (Although maybe it was put at the top to attract more attention and ensure reading.)

• Matthew.C.812
    Matthew.C.812 Posts: 12 admin

Hi @Janet.O.779,

We're so grateful you reached out with this feedback! We've scheduled these articles for updates and will release those updates as part of our general availability update to help documentation on January 4th, 2024.

Thank you again for this invaluable feedback!

• Annette.P.996
    Annette.P.996 Posts: 11 🌱
    I am going through the Brightspace Success Toolkit and many of the links do not lead to actual pages. Some are 404 errors, some just lead to the general community, and others give an error message. For instance, on Release Conditions Overview, neither of the links to "full list of release conditions" or "Best Practices when using release conditions" work.

The full list link gives me a SSO error message for the Brightspace Community, even though I'm logged in. And the Best Practices takes me to a Bright Space Community page saying "Article not found." This is just one example in the course. Almost all of the links do something like this.

When I tried to use the course feedback survey to share this information, it said "Oops! This unit is empty. Come back later."

I am a new Brightspace user for a nonprofit. If there is a better way to leave this feedback, please let me know.
  • Stefanie.B.518

Hi @Annette.P.996
    This is very helpful feedback and I truly appreciate your connecting with us here in the Community!

I've updated the links in the Release Conditions Submodule that were not linking correctly- and I've corrected the issue you noted with the Course Survey- truly grateful for your note on this.

As it happens our Course Review Process for the Learning Center is just about to kick off- so there will be an audit of courses taking place in the New Year which will help to track down and correct course errors like these.

Please don't be shy to stay in touch with any additional feedback you may have here in this discussion or in any of our course surveys.

Best,
    Stefanie

• Janet.O.779

Hi there, D2L Team. 🙂
    I was reading https://community.d2l.com/brightspace/kb/articles/4509-set-up-data-hub and would like to suggest that the acronym "ADS" be expanded to "Advanced Data Sets" where it appears in the following sentence: "d2l.Tools.DataHub.DataExport.FilenamePattern - Specifies the pattern to use for generated ADS filenames."

It would also be helpful if that information—that this variable only pertains to Advanced Data Sets and not to Brightspace Data Sets—appeared within the Config Variable Browser on Brightspace itself. Currently it says, "The pattern to use for generated report filenames. (Supported replacement strings: {orgId}, {orgUnitId}, {userId}, {userName}, {submitDate}, {reportId}, {reportName}, {defaultFileName})"… so it has taken quite some time for me to finally clue in that this feature isn't functioning unreliably on our site; it just doesn't pertain to the data sets I was routinely downloading.

• Stefanie.B.518

Hi @Janet.O.779
    This is important feedback for our Product and Knowledge Teams that work on our Data Solutions and documentation.
    I've shared your comments here with those teams.

Grateful to you for connecting back with us

• Stefanie.B.518

Hi @Janet.O.779 Just wanted to offer an update here.
    Our Knowledge Team has scheduled the effort to make this change across our existing documentation.
    The goal here will be to ensure that the first time the acronym appears on any page that the full acronym is written out and the short form used only after that.

Thank you for helping us to make this improvement to our documentation.

• Janet.O.779

Hi there, D2L Team. 🙂
    I was just reading https://community.d2l.com/brightspace/kb/articles/1481-baking-a-better-pie and towards the bottom there's a great "What do you think?" section warmly inviting feedback "in the comments below." However I couldn't find any way to make a comment. Did I perhaps circumvent that opportunity by clicking "yes" rather than "no" to the "Was this article helpful?" prompt at the bottom of the page? Maybe I did. But it seemed odd not to find an obvious way to respond directly to the two explicit questions/prompts presented to the reader in that particular paragraph.

• Jane.M.801
    Jane.M.801 Posts: 32

HI @Janet.Q.779.
    I agree that it is confusing that we have nowhere to add our comments after selecting a yes or no at that "Was this article helpful".
    I have several times selected No, wishing I could explain—usually that my "No" refers to just a small part of that page.
    But, No, nowhere to explain my "No". <sigh>
    D2L, I hope you will add this to the pages, soon! Otherwise, how will you improve those specific pages where we select No, if the related comments are not tied to those pages?

• Stefanie.B.518

Hi @Jane.M.801
    That's definitely a feature we'd love to add to our Knowledge Bases as well.
    It's not ready just yet, but we'll keep everyone informed of future changes through the Community and Documentation Roadmap!

One of the biggest improvements we're making this month is the release of a brand new search tool that you'll have access to all across Community pages. You'd provided us with some feedback on how important this feature is for Community members in July, and I promised we were working on it- and now it's nearly ready for your testing!

All of that is to say- when you leave feedback for us here in the Community Feedback Discussion it is truly helping to make a difference in how the site functions and how we can make it better together!

Grateful for you and your notes here!

• Jane.M.801
    Jane.M.801 Posts: 32

We ARE thrilled about the search tool!

• Jennifer.B.472
    Jennifer.B.472 Posts: 5 🌱

Good afternoon,

When I’ve tried to share links to specific PIE ideas with colleagues, they are prompted to log in to view the site, which is to be expected. However, our Single Sign On credentials have not worked for us to log in directly to the Product Idea Exchange.

When I try to access PIE directly without first logging into the Community, I receive a "Login Failed" message.

The indirect way that the PIE site must be accessed (by logging into the Community first and then using the Quick Link panel) has made communications with my colleagues about specific PIE ideas more complicated than they ought to be. I generally have to explain where to look for the Quick Link so that when I ask people to take a look at a PIE idea, they won't assume they have a bad link or that their password no longer works.

Am I missing something? Must we visit the Community pages before we can access the PIE?

• Stefanie.B.518

Hi @Jennifer.B.472
    This is very helpful feedback- and you are correct.
    You must first login to Community to be able to access to PIE.

You make a great point about access and how it might become easier in future.
    I appreciate you connecting here with this idea!

• Janet.O.779

Hi there, faithful D2L Team. 🙂

I was just reading https://community.d2l.com/brightspace/kb/articles/5613-how-to-configure-zoom-with-d2l and would like to make a little suggestion. In the final sentence "do not hesitate to ask questions on Brightspace Community or via your CSM or TAM," I think it would be helpful to spell out the acronyms. I know what these letters mean now 😁, but for my first couple years with Brightspace they were a source of ??. 🤔

• Stefanie.B.518

Thank you so much for calling this out @Janet.O.779!
    It's such a great point!
    I'm connecting this with our Knowledge Team to schedule the edits - Grateful to You for helping to make this content more helpful for everyone!

• Janet.O.779
    edited June 14

Hi there, D2L Team. It's me again. 🙂

I was reading the https://community.d2l.com/brightspace/kb/articles/4260-set-up-integration-with-a-tool-provider page and the link in # 5. to the "LTI version chart" (https://www.imsglobal.org/overview-lti-versions-and-basic-functions) returns an "Oops, Sorry, the page you are requesting is only available to 1EdTech Members and/or requires a login…" I guess it needs a little tweak. 😉

Also, I'm not sure who to notify about this but in our Brightspace > External Learning Tools > Edit Tool Provider, the "?" beside the Version field produces a dialog box that includes a link to the old D2L Community: https://community.brightspace.com/s/article/LTI-Integration-Guide

• Stefanie.B.518

@Janet.O.779 we're so lucky to hear from you, any chance we can!

Truly grateful to you for taking the time to share back with us!

Will make sure we're updating both thanks you to your very good catch!
    Thank You!!!

• Samantha.B.305
    Samantha.B.305 Posts: 11 admin

@Janet.O.779

As per your comment here in Community Feedback, I have updated the Set up integration with a tool provider article to remove the broken link and replace it with the appropriate content.

You will see the change when our documentation is republished on July 4.

Thank you for finding this gap and helping us improve our documentation😄

• Janet.O.779

Hello, D2L Team. 🙂
    A couple friendly comments on the https://community.d2l.com/brightspace/categories/known-and-fixed-issues page…
    - I think the header row on the Fixed Issues embedded workbook needs to be frozen so it stays put when scrolling
    - how about adding a brief tip in the callout boxes to alert people that they can use the filter and sort operators on the headers to help isolate what they're looking for! (I don't know why it took me soo long to figure this out, but it did!!)

• Colleen.F.2632
    Colleen.F.2632 Posts: 2 🔍
    Hello,

When I'm writing a comment in the "Note box" when evaluating a student assignment, every time when I type a few letters the cursor jumps back to the beginning of the word/sentence. I've tried multiple computers all with the same issue. Is this a known issue? I've been using BrightSpace for years and have only had this issue in the past month.
  • Stefanie.B.518

HI @Colleen.F.2632 Let's take a closer look at this with a support case.
    I'll reach out in a direct message to make sure we're connecting you with the right Help Desk

• Naomi.K.444
    Naomi.K.444 Posts: 193 admin

Hi @Janet.O.779,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We have implemented the enhancements you suggested:

1. The header row on the Fixed Issues embedded workbook is now frozen, allowing it to remain visible while scrolling through the data.

2. We've added a tip in the callout boxes to guide users on how to utilize the filter and sort functions on the headers for more efficient navigation.

We appreciate your input, as it has helped us improve the user experience. 🙂