By: Natalie Deane, Senior Product Manager
This topic describes Phase 2 of the three-phase for Quiz Timing Improvements. For information about the overall improvements, see Quiz Timing Improvements - Summary.
Phase 2 is available starting in 20.23.7 (July 2023) for all clients, and includes improvements to the Quiz workflow, including show/hide quiz timer and an improved Quiz Results view.
For some learners, the visual of a quiz countdown timer contributes the anxiety that assessments can produce. The new visual countdown timer enables learners to show or hide the timer according to their own preferences. With the first use of this the Hide Timer button is visible, then slides out of view to minimize visual distraction. Learners can reveal the Hide Timer button by hovering over or clicking the timer. Future quizzes remember the last user selection.
Previously, unless an instructor specifically disabled the feature during quiz creation, the countdown timer was always shown.
Figure: The Hide Timer button beside the quiz timer.
Learners would like to be warned before they run out of time so that they can prepare their work to be auto-submitted or manually submit their work before it gets flagged as exceeding the time limit. This is particularly important if learners have chosen to hide the timer, removing that indication of how much time is left. These timer warnings provide learners with a message on enforced time quizzes to warn of time remaining. There are 3 timer warnings:
- 1 minute remaining on the quiz
- 5 minutes remaining (only available on quizzes with a 10 minute or longer quiz time limit)
- Half of the elapse time (only available on quizzes with a 20 minute or longer quiz time limit)
Figure: The Timer Warning dialog indicating 1 minute.
Improvements to the Quiz Results View
As we address larger functional opportunities, we are also making changes to simplify and improve the Quiz Results display page that appears when a learner completes a quiz attempt or returns later to view their quiz results (previously known as the Submission View).
- Updates to the Quiz Results display page to verify to learners that their work was successfully saved and submitted. In addition to the default message of Your work has been saved and submitted, instructors can add a custom message to also appear on the page.
- Simplifying learners' ability to review feedback by automatically expanding instructor comments.
- Adding a basic submission in case there is none set.
Providing more Quiz Information
The second phase provides a link to the quiz information within the quiz taking experience. The link opens a page with quiz instructions and details. Previously, that information was only available before the learner started the quiz. With this change, learners can review quiz instructions and details without leaving the quiz, which can help support the learners as they take the quiz.
There are two other phases in the Quiz Timing Improvements . For more information, see:
Any end-user support questions and feedback can be shared through your D2L Account Team.