Improvement of Brightspace

Leila.V.2334
Leila.V.2334 Posts: 4 🔍
edited October 16 in Higher Ed / Postsecondary
Good morning. I am using BS as a faculty in Higher Education for the first time. Here are my suggestions for improvement:

- Students should not be allowed to edit their posts on the discussion board. This makes grading and liability of students complicated. If they need to edit their posts, they should click on reply on their thread or create a new thread, but never be allowed to edit what they posted. That is how it was on BB.

- Unlisted YouTube videos: On BB we could add an unlisted YouTube video, but on BS we cannot. I mean, we can add the video link but not attach it and have the thumbnail and the clickable image. Basically, on BB I could simply add the unlisted link and BB search accepted it. On BS it says it did not find it as it only finds public videos. The lectures I record are unlisted and I want to keep it this way. I know we can add a video file directly to BS content or use the video note to record it. However, first, video note does not allow us to blur our background, second, I would prefer that students do not download my lectures but, instead, watch them on YouTube as I used to do on BB.

- Another improvement: Allow blurred background in video note.

- Video note option to "Automatically generate captions from audio" does not generate any captions as I've recorded many videos with this option on and had no captions generated when playing it.

- Somehow even though we click on "Subscribe to this thread" on DB, we do not get alerts when someone replies on that thread. What I mean by "we" is faculty and students in my class. Basically this options seems to not work.

Thank you!

Answers

• Subul.I.322
    Subul.I.322 Posts: 86 admin

Hi @Leila.V.2334, thank you for your valuable feedback!

We collect feedback and ideas in Product Idea Exchange (PIE), where educators can submit new ideas like yours and upvote existing ones they'd like to see implemented to help shape our Product Roadmap!

You can access PIE through the top navbar under resources.

**Note you'll need to log into community to access the PIE item.

-Please make sure you're following the steps highlighted in this article on how to get auto-captions: https://community.d2l.com/brightspace/kb/articles/1741-video-note-automatic-captioning

-For getting alerts, once you click subscribe, you can select "Send me an instant notification". This will make sure you receive either an email or SMS, depending on how you've set up your notifications.

Please feel free to reach out again if you require further assistance!

• Leila.V.2334
    Thank you for your message.

- I will post my original msg under Product Idea Exchange (PIE).
    - Captions: I previously followed the steps and in my case the captions are not automatically generated.
    - DB alerts: Since the start of the semester I've done both: edited my notifications to receive alerts about DB threads AND also clicked on "Subscribe to this thread" in the threads I wanted. However, I still do net get email alerts.

Best,

Leila.
  • Leila.V.2334

I've clicked on "Product Idea Exchange (3rd Party Tool)" and it is unavailable (pl see attached screenshot). I am also attaching a screenshot of my notifications so that you see my settings since the start of the semester.

Thank you.

• Renee.J.194
    Renee.J.194 Posts: 117

Regarding students editing posts, this is set by the admin. It is a site-level setting. There are PIEs for allowing it to be set at the level of a course, a forum, or a topic. Here is a popular one you can still vote for even though it is marked "not planned". Allow faculty to disable students' ability to edit discussion posts (D1723).