What permissions determine which items show up in the menus?

I've been updating role permissions and noticed some odd behavior.

See Groups and See Sections permissions cause the Groups and Sections links to appear in the Course Admin page, but not in the Course Admin dropdown menu. What controls them in the menu?

Similarly, See Organization Files does not cause Organization Files to appear in the gear menu.

Is there a general principle, or a list, explaining what permissions control menu visibility?

Thanks.

Answers

• Hello Francis

Thank you for reaching out with your question. Understanding how permissions affect menu visibility in Brightspace can indeed be a bit complex. Here’s a breakdown that might help clarify:

1. Groups and Sections Visibility:
      • The permissions for See Groups and See Sections typically control whether the links to these features appear on the Course Admin page. However, additional permissions or settings specific to the dropdown menu configuration might control the visibility of these links in the dropdown menu.
    2. Organization Files Visibility:
      • The See Organization Files permission controls access to organization files within the context of the course but does not necessarily influence their visibility in the gear menu. The gear menu might be controlled by a different set of permissions or configurations specific to that menu.

General Principle:

• Menu visibility is often controlled by a combination of permissions and specific configuration settings within Brightspace. Permissions can enable or restrict access to certain features, but the visibility of these features in different menus might be influenced by additional settings or roles.

List of Permissions:

• There isn’t a single comprehensive list that details all permissions affecting menu visibility because this can vary based on the specific configuration and version of Brightspace. However, permissions related to course administration, content management, and role settings are typically involved in determining what appears in different menus.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can assist with!

Best regards,

Miguel