Regrading a multiselect question

I understand how to regrade a MCQ. However, i have come across a problem when it comes to multiselect questions - where someone gets .33333 for every right answer. One example is below:

I have ticked the boxes at the bottom for the three correct answers. Students need all 3 for 1 mark, but can get partial marks for < 3. Do I note 1 mark in that red box - if so, does that require all three responses or do students get a whole mark for any of those 3 responses with the regrade option.

Looking forward to some ideas. There are 4 out of 5 questions in this quiz like this, plus there are 6 separate cohorts, so that is 24 questions to regrade in full. I 'd prefer to do this job once for the academic given students can do quiz multiple times and some have done it over 40 times. There are literally hundreds of responses…

Tagged:

Answers

• Johnny.B.962
    Johnny.B.962 Posts: 81

@Sue.S.4,

When trying to update the scoring for questions like this you are being much more explicit than when you are creating the question. In your image you have options A, B, and D selected, if you were to enter in a point value for that, what it will do is give attempts which have explicitly selected A, B, and D that amount of points, no other attempts would be updated.

If you are trying to update the other options then you'll have to perform this action again to give attempts with only A selected, .33333 points (as you stated), then again attempts with only B selected .33333 points, then again attempts with only D selected .33333 points, then again attempts with only A and B selected .66666 points, and so on.

Side note, did you already figure out how to update the question to auto-grade in the way you want? It appears that you would've wanted Correct Answers, Limited Selections set for "How are points assigned to blanks?"

I hope that helps,

-Johnny
    D2L LAM

• Sue.S.4
    Sue.S.4 Posts: 50 🌱

Hi Johnny, thank you for your prompt response once again.

So basically, I have to pretty much set every feasible option for regrade? A - 3.3333, B = 3.33333, D = 3.33333, AB = 6.6666, AD = 6.66666, BD = 6.6666 and ABD = 1 ?

I worked out how to update the question and access auto regrade because of your earlier instructions.

• Johnny.B.962
    Johnny.B.962 Posts: 81

Yes, unfortunately that's what you would have to do. The tool for regrading is designed more so for correcting questions like selecting the wrong answer for a multiple choice question. For multi-select questions like you are using, to properly grade all the responses in the way you want, you'll have to enter every scenario like that (just A, B, D, and various combinations of 2 or all 3 of them).

-Johnny
    D2L LAM