Release Condiitons and Start Dates on Modules

Options

Hi all, I know that start and end dates don't work with release conditions so I'm curious to know if anyone has a workaround for the following scenario.

We have an instructor who has a student that needs access to each week's module content prior to the start of each class. The instructor currently sets the start date on each week's module for the start of class. We'd ideally like to be able to give "special access" to that student to get the content without releasing the content to the whole class.

The only way I can think of to do this now is:

1. Take off the start dates/hide all of the weekly module content
  2. When 2 hours out from class time, create a release condition based on a group (with just that student in it) and apply it to the module
  3. Make the module visible.
  4. Remove the release condition just before class starts so the whole class can see it.

Obviously that is a lot of manual work. Is there another way to do this?

Best Answer

• Syed.H.393
    Syed.H.393 Posts: 36
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Emma.D.602

Thank you for reaching Brightspace Community! 

We don't have the option to set up the module for one specific student only. There is no tool to provide special access to the content. A workaround could be to use release conditions as you are already aware of.

Another option could be to create a new role for the required student, with same permissions as student role, except for the permission View Content that is Not Released. You can enable this permission for this new role. Please note this option may have some implications as one student in the class will have a different role.

https://community.d2l.com/brightspace/kb/articles/4467-content-permissions

Should you have any questions or concerns please let us know.

Best Regards,

Syed Hasan