Exporting/Importing members of groups between courses

John.S.404
John.S.404 Posts: 3 🔍
Hi everyone!

In our university we use Brightspace, and are struggling with Groups. In particular, we want to know whether every single course needs to be manually populated, or if it'd be possible to create the groups in one course, and then simply export those enrollments and group structures into other courses. Let me explain:

• The students in our Y1 and Y2 classes are divided in groups, which remain constant throughout all courses of the same year (for example, Y1 student John Smith would be part of group A1 in all his Y1 courses).
• Once the groups are created in one module, would it be possible to then copy both the group structure, as well as the population of the groups, between courses? (so, for example, after we enroll John Smith in Group A1 for Biology 101, we can then automatically also make him part of Group A1 in Chemistry 101).

I've checked documentation online, and I'm not entirely sure if the answer is affirmative or if, incredibly, we'd have to manually enroll students (or rely on self-enrollment) in every single course.

Thanks!
Tagged:

Answers

• If you copy groups from Biology 101 into Chemistry 101 using Import/Export/Copy Components, your group membership will copy over as well, providing that the same students are enrolled in Chemistry 101 that were enrolled in Biology 101. Users that are in Chemistry 101 that were not in Biology 101 will not be in a group and will need to be enrolled in one.

• John.S.404
    John.S.404 Posts: 3 🔍

Hi Andrea,

Thanks!

But I think that's incorrect. See below from the link you posted:

• Jennifer.W.973
    Jennifer.W.973 Posts: 357 🎆

I just tested copying groups between two courses with the same students enrolled, and it only copied the groups. No students were added to the groups automatically.

• Hi Jennifer,

This has to be some sort of setting in your environment, because I just did it and it copied the group enrollments. Can you have your admin support (if it isn't you) contact D2L support so they can check your settings?

Best,

Andrea