Create quiz where some questions have no marks

Kate.R.967
Kate.R.967 Posts: 4 🌱
edited August 2023 in Higher Ed / Postsecondary
Hi all! I am new to D2L, and I'm trying to figure out how I can A) create a formative quiz with no marks, and B) create a quiz where SOME questions have no marks. I'd be grateful if you have any ideas on how I can do this!
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Jennifer.W.973
    Jennifer.W.973 Posts: 357 🎆
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓

@Kate.taylor@georgebrown.ca Hi Kate, for the quiz with no marks, do you plan to add a grade item for it to the gradebook? If not, you could just set up a regular quiz and prevent the students from seeing their results. Uncheck Auto-Publish attempt results immediately upon completion (and/or Attempt Grade, in case you manually publish later) under Evaluation & Feedback in the quiz settings. If you do want to give them credit just for doing the quiz, you could set the quiz up the way I explained here.

For the 2nd quiz, do you want extra credit questions in the quiz? Those are called bonus in D2L. Or you can set the points for those questions to .00001 as a workaround for not being able to set it to 0.

• Jennifer.W.973
    Answer ✓

@Kate.R.967 You're welcome!

Check the box(es) next to the question(s) you want to treat as extra credit, then click More Actions, and Toggle Bonus.

Answers

• Kate.R.967

@Jennifer.W.973 Thank you so much for your help on this. Your response is really useful!

I am working on creating the 2nd quiz I described right now, and it's easy enough to sent the points to .00001, which I imagine rounds up to 0.

How do I ask a "bonus" question? I do not see that as an option in the dropdown menu?

Thank you! I'm grateful for your help!

• Kate.R.967

Awesome, thank you! One more question, @Jennifer.W.973 . I want to have a "multi-select" multiple choice question where ANY answer is right. In other words, students will get a point just for answering the question. Can you tell me how I can do this?

Again, many, many thanks

• Jennifer.W.973

@Kate.R.967 I don't think there's a way to set up a Multi-select question in the same way and have the points be correct without using Update All Attempts to change the points awarded afterwards.

Still mark the question as mandatory so students have to answer it, but it won't really matter which choices you mark as the correct answer. Then for how are points assigned to blanks, make sure not to choose Correct Answers, Limited Selections because that includes a note that says "Select # correct answer(s)" depending on how many you marked as correct.

After all the students have submitted their attempts, switch to the Questions tab when you go to Grade the submissions. Then choose Update All Attempts and click on the question. Select Give to all attempts ___ points and enter how many points you want everyone to get for the question, regardless of how they answered.