Can I make surveys worth 1 point?

Kevin.W.490
Kevin.W.490 Posts: 3 🔍
edited August 2023 in Higher Ed / Postsecondary
In my class, I ask students to complete a survey at the end of every week. To encourage responses, every survey is worth a single point. There are no wrong answers: everyone who fills it out gets the point.

I haven't found a way to automate this process, so I've been manually creating a graded item for every survey, and then manually assigning the points myself.

I've also tried using quizzes instead of surveys, but quizzes require "correct" answers for e.g. multiple choice questions.

Is there a way to automate this in D2L?
Tagged:

Answers

• Jennifer.W.973
    Jennifer.W.973 Posts: 357 🎆

@Kevin.W.490 Surveys cannot be associated with a grade item, but you can do this with quizzes. Add a mandatory multiple choice question that is worth 1 point, and set the custom weights on each answer choice to 100%. No matter what the student responds, they will receive 1 point for that question. Then any other questions can be set as bonus questions so the maximum points will remain at 1. Make sure not to check Can Exceed on the grade item so students who take the quiz will receive 1/1 (regardless of how they answer the questions.)

• Kevin.W.490
    Kevin.W.490 Posts: 3 🔍

Thank you, this seems to work pretty well for what I'm trying to do! You just saved me about an hour of work per week!