Discussion Board and topic notifications

Good Morning Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had an idea on how to resolve this particular request I received.

I have an instructor that wants the student's minibar to receive notifications whenever they make a topic in a forum.

I recommended the calendar but it doesn't give mini bar notifications.

Subscribing to the forums will only send a notification when a user posts inside the topic; the topic merely coming into existence seems to prompt nothing in regards to subscribing to the forum.

Sincerely,

Michael Ellerkamp

Best Answer

• Aasim.Y.704
    Aasim.Y.704 Posts: 122 ⏸️ Inactive
    Answer ✓

Hey @MSUTexas_Michael,

Thanks for reaching out to us here at the Brightspace Community!

There are a few ways I can think of that may be helpful:

1. A workaround to get a notification would be that the instructor should post to their class via the activity feed (or announcements tool) after the new topic was created and announce it to the class. This is not exactly what the instructor might be looking for and is an extra step but ensure the topic goes into the minibar.
    2. Do the instructors currently use the work-to-widget? If the new topic was created w/ a date on it, it'll automatically appear in the work-to-widget which if learners are used to looking at, it'll appear there for them. (See attached image).

I hope this information helps you in your exploration! Currently, there does not seem to be another way of notifying a user when a topic is created in a forum.