Written by: Sagar Warghade, Senior Product Manager
Updated timelines published February 6, 2024
In the contemporary landscape of data-driven practices, educational institutions and organizational Learning and Development (L&D) teams heavily depend on learning analytics to extract essential insights to help facilitate well-informed decision-making. At D2L, we recognize the inherent challenges in obtaining such insights – from simplifying data integration and maintenance to ensuring effective communication of results through data visualizations, we've got you covered.
Our Insights Report Builder empowers users to delve deeper into data and visualizations using their existing skills and knowledge of Brightspace Data Sets (BDS), without grappling with the complexities associated with direct interaction with a data warehouse.
In our ongoing commitment to enhance user experience, we are dedicated to making our products more straightforward, consistent, and valuable to meet your evolving requirements. We are excited to announce that, starting April 2024, we will be leveraging Amazon QuickSight as the visualization engine for Insights Report Builder, further elevating the capabilities of our platform.
Our primary strategic cloud infrastructure provider is AWS. The upgrade of the Insights Report Builder visualization infrastructure to AWS reinforces our strong partnership and trust in their services. Amazon QuickSight is FedRAMP-, HIPAA-, PCI DSS–, ISO-, and SOC-eligible, ensuring compliance with industry-specific and regulatory requirements. This infrastructure update assures a solid foundation and unlocks the possibilities of various future capabilities, such as - customized reporting templates for swift value realization, enhanced insights through correlated data, integration of analytics reports in Brightspace for in-context visualization, and the convenience of a natural language and generative AI assistant for seamless insights creation and consumption. We're eager to collaborate with you to bring forth these exciting capabilities.
Before exploring these new capabilities, our initial step is to facilitate a smooth upgrade to this new infrastructure for you. We acknowledge that this represents a substantial change, and we are committed to partnering with you to make the process as seamless as possible. Rest assured, we have a comprehensive plan in place, complete with key milestones designed to guide you through every step of the upgrade.
April 2024: New Visualization Infrastructure for all customers
- Insights Report Builder (IRB) leveraging Amazon QuickSight will be available to all customers. You can start building your reports on it while still using your existing IRB for ongoing reporting needs. Training materials will be shared for onboarding on the new infrastructure.
May 2024: Beginning of Upgrade Phase – View only Access to Authors on the old Infrastructure
- On May 31, 2024, IRB authors will see their permissions adjusted to view-only access within the Old IRB infrastructure. This allows D2L to migrate the existing assets that are created by customers to the new IRB (QuickSight) infrastructure. While this does cause interruption in your ability to create or edit reports on old IRB, you will still be able to use all your existing reports. You can create new reports on IRB (QuickSight).
July 2024: Upgrade Phase – Data Assets from old infrastructure are migrated to new infrastructure for All Customers
- On July 31, 2024, the migration of data assets from the existing IRB infrastructure to the new IRB infrastructure (QuickSight) will be complete. Customers will be provided with information regarding any assets that could not be migrated successfully.
August to December 2024: Teardown Phase – Old infrastructure is retired
- Between August and October, the old IRB infrastructure will be disabled for customers who have successfully upgraded to the new IRB infrastructure (QuickSight). Customers will be notified and engaged in advance.
- Between November and December, old IRB infrastructure will be dismantled.
We aim to maintain uninterrupted support for your current learning analytics reporting needs during this upgrade and to ensure that future requirements are met with the upcoming infrastructure change. Should you have any questions or feedback, feel free to reach out to us through your D2L account representative.