Assignment shows [Broken Topic]

I created an assignment for my first class and received about 3 dozen submissions from students. I look at it in my course module and now I'm seeing the subject as: [Broken Topic]

Clicking the subject line I get a pop-up to add an assignment. In the list I see my assignment which is "Class 1 Assignment" but I'm hesitant to click on it as I'm not sure what might happen, especially with numerous student submissions already submitted.

Best Answer

• Chris.S.534
    Chris.S.534 Posts: 328
    Answer ✓

Hi Michael.M,

As long as you are not Editing the existing activity/assignment, or creating a new activity/assignment you are just creating a link to the existing assignment in the content tool. Existing submissions will be unaffected as you are not editing the assignment.

If in doubt, always test in a sandbox or test course that you may have access to. If none is available, create a new content module and set the visibility to hidden, and add a link to an existing assignment. If you need assistance making the change please connect with you online learning and teaching administration team or open a support case with the D2L support team who can guide you through making the change.

Hope this helps!

Answers

• Michael.M.3382
    Michael.M.3382 Posts: 6 🔍
    edited September 11

Thanks. Can't test it in a sandbox. I was able to confirm what this is (just literally a broken hyperlink lost for unknown reasons) when other students were still able to see and submit assignments. Essential "broken link" is just a technical term that the assignments in a module are just pointers to the assignment. If there is something actually broken in the assignment module, then you likely have a problem with the actual module itself.