Can I use intelegence agent to assign a learning path?

Wanda.B.947
Wanda.B.947 Posts: 6 🌱

I have a set of courses that people will be taking based on their role within an organization. As people register on our platform, I want to have intelligence agents set up so that they are automatically assigned the courses they need. To this end, I've set up learning paths that contain the courses each group needs access to. Rather than creating a new intelligence agent for every role and every course, I wanted to just say when a person registers and has X role in Brightspace, then assign them X Learning path (which will give them access to all of the courses in that learning path). Although I'm able to assign a learning path in the intelligence agent, it will not allow me to assign a role for that user in those courses, which in turn will not allow me to save the intelligence agent. Is this a glitch, or is there another way to easily automate assigning learning paths?

Answers

• Hello Wanda,

Thank you for reaching out with your question regarding automating the assignment of learning paths based on user roles within Brightspace.

It seems like you're looking to use Intelligent Agents to automatically assign learning paths when users register and are given a certain role. You're correct that Intelligent Agents can assign users to learning paths, but it sounds like you're encountering an issue when trying to assign roles at the course level through this process.

To clarify, Intelligent Agents are designed to trigger based on specific criteria, but they do not have the functionality to automatically assign roles to users in individual courses. This might explain why you're unable to save the agent when attempting to set it up in this way.

Here are a few alternative approaches you could consider:

1. Automating Role Assignments with Custom Scripts (via API):

If your organization has access to development resources, you can use the Brightspace API to automate the process of assigning roles to users in specific courses. This would involve setting up an external system to handle role assignment once the user is added to a learning path. This may require custom scripting to ensure the user gets assigned the correct role upon registration.

2. Using Org-Level Roles for Access:

Another option would be to adjust the org-level roles of your users in Brightspace. If users are assigned a specific role at the org level, you can ensure that their access to learning paths or courses is aligned with their role, without needing to set course-level roles individually. However, this requires configuring your role permissions appropriately.

3. Manual Role Assignment After Learning Path Enrollment:

Alternatively, you could set up the Intelligent Agent to automatically assign the learning path based on their role, and then manually assign course-level roles after users have been added. While this isn't fully automated, it can streamline part of the process.

4. Learning Groups in Learning Paths:

If roles and permissions are more complex, you could create learning groups within your learning paths. These groups can have predefined roles, which would streamline the assignment process. While this doesn’t directly solve the issue of role assignment through Intelligent Agents, it may offer a more structured way of managing user access within learning paths.

To summarize, while Intelligent Agents cannot directly assign course-level roles, combining API automation, org-level roles, and structured learning paths could help streamline the process. If you're open to exploring custom scripts via the Brightspace API, that would likely offer the most flexible solution.

Best regards,
    Miguel