Unable to Automatically Regrade Arithmetic Question

I believe I already know the answer but it helps to receive confirmation. The following is hypothetical but based almost completely on what just happened in my course.

Let's say I created a quiz with an arithmetic question. Students are given the weekend to complete it. Halfway through the weekend I discover that there is a mistake in the formula which calculates the solutions based on the variables in the question. In a combined course of 5 classes with about 360 students, 180 had already completed the question with the error in it's formula. They had entered the correct solution but did not receive the points for that answer because the formula had an error.

If I wanted to have Brightspace automatically regrade the first batch of students that were incorrectly evaluated on that arithmetic question, I am unable to do so - is that right?

Confirming that if I go to 'Grade' 'Questions' and select 'update all attempts' and select the old question version with the formula error, I can either give all attempts points or give points to answers that have some combination of results and units correct or incorrect based on the error formula. So, my 'automatic' options do not include to regrade students who attempted the question with the formula error using the updated question arithmetic. My only solution is to manually go through the 180 students to give points to correct answers based on the arithmetic which I need to calculate manually for each student … is that right?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Johnny.B.962
    Johnny.B.962 Posts: 81
    Answer ✓

@Marc.C.780, you are 100% correct. The only options we have to correct a situation like this is to use the 'Update all attempts' option you mentioned, but because the questions are all going to be slightly different, as you pointed out, you are better off just manually grading each one.

Sorry we don't have a more elegant solution for this at this time.

-Johnny
    D2L LAM

Answers

• Marc.C.780
    Marc.C.780 Posts: 4 🔍

Thank you, Johnny! Just wanted to be sure. If I wanted to request developers to add a feature/function, what is the best way to go about that?

• Best thing would be to leave us an idea in the PIE. Here on Community, under Resources in the top menu, select Product Idea Exchange (3rd Party Tool) . I'm directing you this way instead of hyperlinking because you need to first be logged in to your account here on Community to access the PIE via our SSO.