Extra Credit

Jane.P.943
Jane.P.943 Posts: 3 🔍
edited September 24 in Higher Ed / Postsecondary
I have created a grading category for extra credit assignments. Each item in the category is marked as "Bonus." Some students have completed extra credit assignments. The gradebook shows their grade on the assignment, but the subtotal for the category (extra credit) indicates "0 points." Nor are the extra credit points included in their final grade calculation. What am I doing wrong?
Tagged:

Answers

• Jennifer.W.973
    Jennifer.W.973 Posts: 357 🎆

@Jane.P.943 The category will indicate 0 total points if it only contains bonus items since they are all extra credit and those extra points are added on to the final grade after the regular calculation is done. You will need to check Can Exceed in the category settings for students to earn the extra points. You may also want to check Can Exceed on the final grade item if you want to allow students to earn more than 100% in the class.

• Jane.P.943
    Jane.P.943 Posts: 3 🔍

Thank you for your prompt response. If I understand you correctly, the mistake I made was creating a separate category for extra credit because I don't want them added on after their final grade is calculated. (That's a lot of points.) I assumed they would be added on to total points earned and then divided by the total points possible. I'm going to try moving the extra credit into a different assessment category and check "may exceed."