Feedback on short answer question

An instructor created the following short answer question. I believe the instructor used the following regular expression.

Why does the feedback to show forward slashes? I believe the student can either enter Root-cause or root-cause.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jennifer.W.973
    Jennifer.W.973 Posts: 357 🎆
    Answer ✓

@Kay.H.645 The forward slashes indicate that the question was set to use a regular expression. However, there is only one acceptable answer (lowercase root-cause) since there is no actual regular expression entered. The instructor should have just left it on the default setting, which is case-insensitive, and this would also allow for all capital letters in addition to just the first letter.

The actual regular expression to allow for both capital and lowercase r would be entered as [Rr]oot-cause in the quiz and then show up as (/[Rr]oot-cause/) on the feedback screen. Especially in this case, it's better to just use the case-insensitive option since interpreting regexes can be confusing for students.

Answers

• Kay.H.645
    Kay.H.645 Posts: 8 🔍

Jennifer…Thank you so much for the explanation. I'm going to check the instructor's test bank to make sure the correct setting is used. Thanks once again!!!