Rank & Window Filtering in Analytics Builder?

In Analytics Builder I am struggling to understand how I might recreate a filtering technique I've used in the past. In order to get a dataset of current credit instructors and their courses, I'd use the Rank & Window function to get a number on the most recent action found in the Enrollment Details dataset (instructors often get re-assigned before the term begins). Then I could create a filter where the rank = 1 and the action = Enroll.

When I try to add a Calculated field in Analytics builder using the Table Calculation functions, the results are not able to be filtered in the new dataset. A message tells me I can filter them in the Analysis, but that won't be very helpful if I am planning to use this dataset to combine with others.

I can't help but feel I'm missing something fundamental in understanding how QuickSight works differently. Like maybe I ought not be creating these sub datasets to feed other datasets? Or perhaps there is a way to filter on a grouping within the data prep that I am missing?

Any pointers are much appreciated.

PS. I'm also not seeing a DOES NOT START WITH as a filter option in QuickSight Data Prep. Is that not a thing?

Answers

• Jennifer.W.973
    Jennifer.W.973 Posts: 357 🎆

@Alan.P.39 I don't have access to Quicksight yet, but from what I've seen in the documentation and training videos, it does not seem as robust as Domo with regards to data prep features. If the functions you need are not included in the UI, you may need to change to SQL.