limit number of picks of survey/discussion choice

i would like to have a discussion where there are 4 questions but each question can only be answered by 1/4 of people in the class. I want the students to pick the question they want to answer (not assign). So for a class of 20 then only 5 students can pick one of the questions in the discussion. I do not want to have 4 separate discussions. Also all students get to see all discussions posts regardless of starting point.

In an older system, we had a 'survey tool' that could limit how many people could pick a question/choice. Once students picked their choice, the system would open the discussion forum and students would see a similar worded discussion and answer the question they picked in survey. It allowed broader development of ideas in one discussion.

Is there anyway to do this in survey or discussion or anther tool?
Tagged:

Answers

• Chris.S.534
    Chris.S.534 Posts: 375

Hi Jon,

The functionality as you have described is not available in Brightspace. Please consider making a submission into the Product Idea Exchange for review and consideration.

One option/workaround you may consider is to use self enrolling groups

• Create a self enrolling group for each question with a maximum of 5 members
    • Use the group membership as a release condition for a Discussion forum
    • Create a forum for each question
    • Attach the appropriate group release conditions created above to each
    • Learners enrol into the groups corresponding to the question they want to answer

Create a Discussion forum for each question, and assign the respective group as a release condition, setting the end date of the activity and so forth.

When adding the time and date restriction

• Add an end date aligning with the activity availability
    • Select the option 'Visible with submission restricted after end'

After the activity has been completed

• Remove the Forum Restrictions
    • Remove the group release conditions so all learners can see the student responses
    • Make sure to leave the option 'Visible with submission restricted after end' enabling all learners can see other forum posts without the ability to make additional contributions

I agree its not an ideal workflow, however it gets you close to the behaviour you're looking for.

Hope that helps!