How can I hide a discussion thread?

I need to be able to hide a discussion thread that a student has posted so that the rest of the class cannot see their thread. I do not want to delete the thread, but I don't want other students to be able to see the thread in the discussion topic.

The reason for this is that when a student posts a new thread in a topic, I want to be able to provide formative feedback to the student. In most cases, I want students to see each other's threads; however, if a student had significant problems with their understanding of the task, I don't want other students to view their thread as it would potentially cause confusion for them. I don't want to delete the thread entirely, as I want the student who posted it to get feedback and be able to review what they posted. I don 't want to "not approve" the thread as this means I can't provide feedback.

I have not used Discussion forums extensively, so if I am wrong in my understanding of how this works, please let me know.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Answers

• Mohit.B.878
    Mohit.B.878 Posts: 54

Hello @Pam.P.502

Thank you for reaching out to D2L through the Brightspace Community. It appears you are trying to restrict a thread posted by a user so it would appear only to yourself and the student, while also providing feedback to the user. Unfortunately, it is currently not possible to put such a restriction on a thread.

However, please note: if the discussion topic is set to be graded, you can provide feedback to the student without approving the thread. The user will be able to see the provided feedback. You can do so by clicking on the dropdown button next to the student's thread > Clicking on "Assess Student" and in the "Overall Feedback" area, you can provide the feedback.

Hope this Helps,
    Mohit Bhargav