Support for Client Credential Grant for API Access

Daryl.T.193
Daryl.T.193 Posts: 2 🔍
I wanted to reach out to ask if there are any plans to support the client credential grant for obtaining an access token for the API.

Currently, I understand that only the authorization grant flow is supported. In my situation, there is no user or browser involved, and I need server-to-server communication. Therefore, the authorization grant flow is not ideal.

As a workaround, I've created an application whose sole purpose is to allow me to manually log in to obtain the refresh token. This refresh token is then used by my main application to get an access token for server-to-server communication. The process involves regularly using the refresh token to get a new access token and refresh token, ensuring continuous valid access.

However, this process is quite fragile. If anything goes wrong with the refresh token exchange, a manual process is required to obtain a new refresh token. This could all be avoided if the client credential grant was supported, simplifying server-to-server communication.

Is there any plan to support the client credential grant flow in the future? Any information or guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Tagged:

Answers

• Chris.S.534
    Chris.S.534 Posts: 375

Hi Daryl,

At this stage there are no plans to support the client credentials grant flow.

Any change in this stance will be updated through the Release Information

The request to support the client credentials grant flow is a good one an you should consider making a submission into the Product Idea Exchange for review and consideration.

Hoe that helps!