Can you create an intelligent agent that looks at an attendance register?

Kira.H.305
Kira.H.305 Posts: 17 🌱

We use attendance registers within D2L to track in-person student attendance. Is there a way to create an intelligent agent that would alert if a student is marked absent in the attendance register? When trying to set up a new intelligent agent, I didn't see a way to do this, but I thought I would ask here in case anyone has had success with this or something similar.

This does not relate to the course log in options. Not all in-person classes require that students log in to the D2L course page every day that they meet.

Answers

• Olly.F.893
    Olly.F.893 Posts: 71

The attendance tool can't be used for release conditions, which means that you can't base an intelligent agent on any attendance tracking in that tool. What you could do is use the gradebook to track attendance, as grades can be used for release conditions. The main consideration of doing that would be if it makes the grade area too complicated, but other than that, the solution can work quite well.

• Kira.H.305
    Kira.H.305 Posts: 17 🌱

Thanks Olly, I appreciate your response! I'm not sure that faculty will want to have attendance tracked in the gradebook, but I will offer it as an option.

• Ricardo.S.110
    Ricardo.S.110 Posts: 149

Hi @Kira.H.305

While it is not possible to use an intelligent agent for attendance tracking, I have found a similar feature request in the Brightspace Community's Product Idea Exchange (PIE):

Intellegent agents based on attendance status (D4159)

I recommend you vote it up so this feature can be considered in future updates

The Product Idea Exchange is designed for users like you to send direct submissions to our Product Development organization and has the following advantages:

• It allows you to receive direct updates on each request you submit
    • It allows other community members to vote on ideas
    • It allows other community members to contribute to and collaborate on each idea
    • It ensures ideas that have the greatest impact on our clients and end users receive consideration for inclusion in future releases.

We look forward to hearing from you at the Product Idea Exchange!