Question Library : FIB

Options
Abraham.G.34
Abraham.G.34 Posts: 7 🔍
Is it possible to create a FIB type of questions with Rows and Columns (i.e. 5 rows and 3 columns). For instance ??? = boxes to Fill In the Blank
Age Subject Group
Name 1 ???? ??? ???
Name 2 ???? ??? ???
Name 3 ???? ??? ???
Name 4 ???? ??? ???
Name 5 ???? ??? ???

Answers

• Johnny.B.962
    Options

Hello @Abraham.G.34,
    Due to creation/editing workflow for FIB questions, what you are suggesting isn't quite possible. However, I do have some alternative recommendations to try which may work for you.

Alternative #1) If you use the Short Answer or Multi-Short Answer question types, both allow you to create a question with multiple answer blocks to fill in. Then in the question text you could add in the table and then keep the cells blank or indicate which need to be filled in. However, based on your example scenario, this could get rather large.

Alternative #2) If you use the Written Response question type, you can also accomplish this but you'd need to manually evaluate the student submissions. What you'd want to do, is create the table in the question text, and then direct students to copy it into their answer box and then fill in the appropriate cells. For best results you may want to also use the "Enable HTML Editor for learner responses" option checked as well, so students would have access to the table options from the toolbar.

Hope that helps!

-Johnny
    D2L LAM

• Abraham.G.34
    Options

Thank you so much Johnny for your answers.

Would you please elaborate a bit on alternative 1 (autograded)? Did you do it before? Can it act like a kind of a table ( like boxes in order , say 2 or 3 in each column).

Thanks a lot

Abraham

• Abraham.G.34
    Options

Hello Johnny,

FYI, I tried alternative 1 but it did not work probably I missed something.

I tried to do "TEXT"…" FIB"… "FIB" all in one row (i.e. for 5 repeated rows) but couldn't succeeded . I could only create FIB boxes in one column with text on top.

Thanks

Abraham

• Johnny.B.962
    Options

@Abraham.G.34 , for my suggestion on alt 1, hopefully this visual representation is a good example of what I was trying to suggest. The options for making tables, you'll find under the "+" icon on the toolbar.

Here's what that would look like when presented to a student taking the quiz:

I hope that illustrates it a bit better.

-Johnny

• Abraham.G.34
    Options

Thank you so much Johnny,

The illustration was much better and It helped. It works better for small tables. In case of big tables; is it possible to split the question so students can see the original table while filling the blanks as they scroll down?

I hope a similar feature (FIB) for instance the user can move the boxes any where required or in a table can be useful. A similar one for arithmetic questions can also be good for several unknows. I believe many instructors can benefit from these features.

Is there any way I can recommend these two to D2L to add or develop?

FYI, some publishers offer these features.

Have a great day,

Abraham

• Johnny.B.962
    Options

@Abraham.G.34 if you want to group questions together, you could use a Question Section and house the table in there. It wouldn't scroll down beside the other questions or anything, but at least it could indicate that it is going to be relevant for all the questions within that section.

If you check out the Product Ideas Exchange (PIE) under the Resources heading, that's the best place to submit new ideas for product improvements.

Hope that helps,

-Johnny

• Abraham.G.34
    Options

Thank you Johnny