Using Attendance as a release condition

Options
Hi there- I'd like to have certain assignment folders/quizzes open based on a student's attendance to a specific lab session. I don't think this is possible at the moment, but in the future, do you think this feature would be added? Right now I have teaching assistants take attendance for labs using the gradebook which then permits access to the report assignment folder. I prefer to not give 50+ TAs access to our gradebook.

OR is there a possibility to restrict editing of certain grade items based on TA/instructor role. E.g. I would like the TAs to be able to access grades for labs, but not for tests and quizzes.

Answers

• Landon.A.201
    Options

Hi Linda,

Let me know what you think of this idea.

If you are already using groups in your course, or if the groups tool is at least available, you could create a group category for 'Lab Attendance', then a group for each lab. Then, the TAs could (given the permission) simply add the students who attend to that weeks lab group. A release condition could then be created to unlock those items based on group enrollment.

There are two reasons I like this:

1. Reduces the anxiety around unwanted gradebook changes.
    2. The UI to add the users is a simple list where they check each users name. Simple and easy.

Let me know if you have questions about this.