Is there a way to bulk update usernames?

Options

Hello,
I am trying to bulk update usernames in our system from a users name (ex., johns) to their email address (ex., johnsmith@gmail.com). Is there a way to do this in bulk? I tried using the bulk update csv but it did not work because the username is a required column. I tried changing the update form in form elements but that did not work either. Any other suggestions?
Thanks!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Chris.S.534
    Chris.S.534 Posts: 200
    edited January 8 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Olivia,

You can update usernames using the Bulk User Management tool. To do so make sure:

• All users have unique OrgDefinedID values
    • Form Element Properties for Org Defined ID Is Displayed & Is Required are both ticked in the BulkUserUpdate form
    • Note: the config variable d2l.Settings.OrgHasOrgDefinedId can be on or off - makes no difference, but if it is on OrgDefinedID uniqueness is enforced

If you have any issues making the updates please reach out to the D2L Support team for assistance.

Hope that helps!

Answers

• Olivia.T.773
    Olivia.T.773 Posts: 27 🌱
    Options

Thank you @Chris.S.534! We don't use OrgDefinedID values usually so I did a small test where I put the user's UserID in that field and then followed the instructions you provided and it worked. Thanks again!

• Olivia.T.773
    Olivia.T.773 Posts: 27 🌱
    Options

@Chris.S.534 Chris I tried using the bulk update to update a users OrgDefinedID and at the end of the process, it shows that the OrgDefinedID was added to the user but when I go into the user account, the OrgDefinedID is blank. Any ideas why this would be happening? Note that in my previous response, I added the OrgDefinedID manually to the user record and it worked fine but with the bulk update it is not working. Thanks!