Disable audio seeking in quiz

Options
Andre.M.416
Andre.M.416 Posts: 17 🌱
edited December 2023 in Higher Ed / Postsecondary

How can I disable seeking on the audio player in a Brightspace quiz?

I teach a musicianship class and I'm trying to simulate an aural assessment experience in Brightspace. When this assessment is conducted in the classroom, students are played a melody a set number of times with pauses in between. They listen to the melody and transcribe it on paper. They have no control over the number of playings nor the amount of time in between playings.

I have created an audio file that plays the melody the designated number of times with pauses in between. I would like to put this audio file in a quiz so I can control the amount of time students can access it. I also want to do everything possible to help ensure that students will just play the recording from start to finish. If audio seeking is enabled, students can skip around and listen to the melody more than the designated number of times. This compromises the assessment.

The desired effect is easily accomplished with JavaScript. (One would simply disable the controls on the <audio> element and then build new play/pause buttons to control playback with onclick functions.) This is not a feasible solution for a quiz, though, since Brightspace strips JS from quiz questions.

Is there any way to accomplish this in Brightspace?

Am I correct in assuming that since this is a timed assessment that it needs to be done in a quiz? In other words, is a quiz the only module where I can limit the amount time a student is given access?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Answers

• Andre.M.416
    Andre.M.416 Posts: 17 🌱
    Options

After some more experimentation, I've found that I can:

1. Create a web page (AKA "file")
    2. Embed the audio file on the web page and replace the native player controls with my own play/pause buttons using JavaScript
    3. Include the newly created web page in a quiz question by putting it in an <iframe>

This achieves the functionality I'm looking for.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't use this solution?

• Sangeetha.T.629
    Options

Hi @Andre.M.416 ,

Thanks for reaching us through community!!

If the solution you approached worked without any issues in quiz tool then I don't have any reason not to use it.

Please let me know if you need any further suggestions/clarifications.

Thanks,

Sangeetha