Reminders for Discussion Board

Options
Geoff.L.135
Geoff.L.135 Posts: 2 🌱

I have a two-part question:

1. Is there a way to get the due dates in the Discussion Board to show in the course home calendar?
  2. Is there a way to trigger an email or intelligent agent when a due date on an assignment passes? I want it to be independent of the existence of a student submission.

Thanks

Answers

• Nikhil.P.90
    Options

Hi Geoff,

Thank you for reaching out to us on Community.

For your first question, there is a feature request submitted in Product Idea Exchange that aligns to yor ask and is submitted as below,

{

Multiple Due Dates for Discussions Need to Appear in Calendar (D9892)

https://desire2learn.brightidea.com/ideas/D9892

}

For your second question, I kindly request you submit a feature request in the Product Idea Exchange

Regards,

Nik

• Natasha.B.837
    Natasha.B.837 Posts: 16
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi @geoff.lobley@sait.ca

Thanks for posting your question on the Brightspace Community!

Question 1

Please feel free to upvote the feature request / enhancement which Nik provided above. The more upvotes this requests, the more attention you bring to it.

Below, I have suggested a few ways to get discussion topics to display in the Calendar widget on a course homepage.

By adding a Start Date and End Date to either discussion forums or discussion topics, you can get the "availability dates" to display in the Calendar widget on the course homepage. While you cannot set a Due Date for discussion topics when creating them, you can use the Calendar tool in Course Admin to add due dates to the discussion topics once they have already been created. To do this, follow these steps:

1. In the Calendar tool, click Set Dates.
    2. Navigate to the content module containing the discussion topic(s) and browse to a discussion topic.
    3. Select the discussion topic for which you want to set a due date to display in the calendar.
    4. Click Add.
    5. On the Set Dates screen, click the No Due Date field to add a due date.
    6. Specify the due date and time.
    7. Click Save.

The start, due and end dates will then be listed in the calendar's Upcoming Events. If you are also using the Work to Do widget on the course homepage, the End Date which you have set for the discussion topic will cause the topic to be displayed in the Work to Do widget.

Question 2

To trigger an email using an intelligent agent, you would use release conditions. Currently, there are no release conditions related to assignment due dates; only whether or not the assignment has been submitted. I also encourage you to submit a feature request for this in the Product Idea Exchange.

• Geoff.L.135
    Geoff.L.135 Posts: 2 🌱
    Options

There is no "Add to Calendar" button in the Discussion Board. Is my only option to add the dates manually?

• Sangeetha.T.629
    Options

Hi @Geoff.L.135,

Thanks for the update. This looks like PIE request - Rethink 'add availability dates to Calendar' in Assignments & Discussions (new creation XP)

I can see the feature is already under consideration by development team.

Thanks,

Sangeetha