setting up gradebook

Zuzanna.F.655
Zuzanna.F.655 Posts: 5 🔍
edited August 2023 in Higher Ed / Postsecondary

I set up a categorie QUIZZES which includes 11 items (Quiz 1-Quiz 11). 3 questions about that step:

1. I would like only 10 out of the 11 quizes to count toward the final grade (I would like the quiz with the lowest score to be automatically dropped. How do I set it up.
  2. I put my gradebook as points. every quiz is worth 10 points, however, the total of all 10 quizzes (100 possible points) should account for only 30% of the final grade. How do I set this up?
  3. If the quizzes have extra credit questions, will I be able to input a grade higher than 10 points per quiz?

Thank you!

Tagged:

Answers

• Chris.S.534
    Chris.S.534 Posts: 375
    edited August 2023

Hi Zuzanna,
    Responses to each for you below:

1. When in Grades and creating/editing the Category, under Grading > Distribution try options as shown below. The question mark icons provide you additional information for each setting
    2. You can use a Weighted Grading System to achieve this outcome see Grading systems types
    3. Yes, when creating the Grade Item in which the quiz score will be captured select the Can Exceed option under Grading. This option allows a users' grades to exceed the maximum points specified for the item.
      The following resource will be helpful Manage Grades in the Grades tool

Hope that helps!

• Zuzanna.F.655

hi Chris!

thank you so much for your help! Very helpful pointers

regarding 1. This is how it looks on my end:

I can only check off the "number of lowest non-bonus…." if I check in distribute weight evenly….

I am not sure I understand the wording correctly. I do want to manually assign grade to each quiz (allowing bonus points, that is exceeding the max 10 points). if leaving the settings as is, will I be able to do it?

I thank you again for all your help!

• Jennifer.W.973
    Jennifer.W.973 Posts: 357 🎆

@Zuzanna.F.655 Distribute weight evenly across all items only refers to the weight that each item will be worth within the category and not the grade that you will enter later. You have the correct option selected in order to drop the lowest grade among the 11 quizzes in that category.

• Zuzanna.F.655

awesome! thank you for clarifying that for me Jennifer. I appreciate your time!

Zuzanna