Is it possible to make an assignment where learners can either submit a file or text?

Options

Hi!

Looking for advice on how to create an assignment where learners could either submit a file OR leave a URL in the text box. Is this possible? We would like to give our learners some choice when it comes to submitting their work. Thanks!

Tagged:

Answers

• Chris.S.534
    Chris.S.534 Posts: 201
    Options

Hi Olivia,

Yes, the Assignments tool supports both submission types you have listed. When creating the assignment choose either Submission Type: File submission or Submission Type: Text submission.

For the File Submission set the number of Files Allowed Per Submission and the Submissions rules

For the Text submission users are presented with the HTML editor into which they can add a URL and other supporting/contextual information if required

The following resource covers the steps involved for creating an assignment https://community.d2l.com/brightspace/kb/articles/3608-create-an-assignment#customize-submission-type-completion-settings

Hope that helps!

• Olivia.T.773
    Olivia.T.773 Posts: 27 🌱
    Options

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response but I was asking if an assignment could be set up so BOTH options were available to lerarners where they could either upload a file or submit a URL in the text box. This is possible in Canvas and I'm sure other LMSs. We want to give learners a choice in how they submit their work.

• Bharti.B.332
    Options

Hello @Olivia.T.773

There is a PIE request that speaks similar to your query that you can upvote for our team to review this idea.

Assignment Folders should accept BOTH a file and a text submission type not just one or the other. (D4773)

We highly encourage upvoting the idea to raise visibility and participate in the comments section of the idea with your inputs and suggestions.

Should you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact.

Thanks and Regards,

Bharti

• Olivia.T.773
    Olivia.T.773 Posts: 27 🌱
    Options

I upvoted the PIE item. Thanks @Bharti.B.332!